• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flowering plant – North East UK (1 Viewer)

MalR

I noticed this plant on a riverside walk on the outskirts of Durham today. It was growing abundantly, but what caught my attention was that it had three colour forms: white, pink/lilac, and something in between.

I wondered if it could be phlox. Some online research suggested that might be the case, although it's a plant that seems to come in a bewildering variety of forms and colours.

I'd be grateful for any help to either confirm my tentative ID or, if I'm wrong, to tell me what it is.

I was also wondering if the intermediate colour form would be the result of hybridisation or is it just related to the age of the plant?

As always, thanks for any help.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Flower2.jpg
    Flower2.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Flower.jpg
    Flower.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back