• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fly catcher ID Saskatchewan Canada (1 Viewer)

Morb

I saw this bird this morning, the picture isn’t very good but it’s in focus. I’m not sure exactly what it is.

Attachments

• 2BDDC3AD-613E-45BF-8AA7-F6DFCFDFAFE9.jpg
    2BDDC3AD-613E-45BF-8AA7-F6DFCFDFAFE9.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 99
Not a phoebe. It's an Empidonax species with the white eyering and wingbars, and orange/yellow color on the beak.

You’re probably right but...most of those features might be applied to perhaps immature EP?
Regarding eye-rings they can be variable and good lighting is certainly a help in that respect.
Because of copyright I can’t use the image, however if one trawls imm.EP pics. there is an image facing left to right (shown twice) that gives a fair imitation albeit not exact.
The subject bird looks very grey (almost certainly the lighting), which is at variance to most of the Empids that I’ve seen, which invariably have a good dose of olive to the upper-parts, which this bird doesn’t appear to show?
Cheers

No phoebe will have that prominent of an eyering/spectacles. And if it were young, as you suggested, the wingbars would have been a cinnamon color. Head size compared to the body is too small, too.

Thanks guys. I ran the pic through the Merlin app and the only result was a Dusky Flycatcher but according to the range map probably not.

Alder or least flycatcher on range I think. I don't think we can be sure which from this photo: difficult to see the primary projection for example. If asked to bet I'd probably go with alder; I don't think it has the dumpy look of least.

I'd tend towards Least with such a bold eye-ring and grayish overall plumage, but the bird's scruffy appearance makes it hard to be sure.

Definitely Empidonax, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back