• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher & Bunting, today, San Blas, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I attach three photos;
2 of the same Empid. This one was silent and all the birds that have called have been Pacific slope.
Immature male Bunting
Thoughts/comments would be most welcome

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC04065.JPG
    DSC04065.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC04077.JPG
    DSC04077.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC04073.JPG
    DSC04073.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 57
Can you recall the habitat the Flycatcher was in? If it was in a wetland area, I guess White-throated is a contender. Possibly Blue-black Grassquit for the other.

Can you recall the habitat the Flycatcher was in? If it was in a wetland area, I guess White-throated is a contender. Possibly Blue-black Grassquit for the other.
Dry and scrubby, Saw a W-t later but got this one down as Western, but could be wrong.

To me too big for Grassquit, it was noticeably bigger than seedeaters in the same area.

1. I also suspect indigo bunting (wing-bars + pale throat), but it would be nice to be able to exclude blue grosbeak. Have you got any more photos, especially showing head/bill from the side? (Not blue-black grassquit: wing-bars, plain chest, bill-shape.)

1. I also suspect indigo bunting (wing-bars + pale throat), but it would be nice to be able to exclude blue grosbeak. Have you got any more photos, especially showing head/bill from the side? (Not blue-black grassquit: wing-bars, plain chest, bill-shape.)
Color is totally wrong for Blue Grosbeak. Beyond that, I can't choose between Indigo or Blue.

I agree, all wrong for Blue Grosbeak. Saw a flock less than 5 mins before and this was intermediate in size and the wing pattern and head shape v different.

I don't know Blue bunting so don't really know what to look for in a maturing male

I can't choose between Indigo or Blue
Blue bunting has no pale throat, no wing-bars, and the whole wing is plain (no obvious blackish) and concolorous with scapulars and back?

This had a rounded head. The BG have a peak to the rear of the head . . . and they are bigger.
Rear of head not visible here, and size can't be judged in this photo.

Have you got any more photos, especially showing head/bill from the side?

wing pattern is v diff
Could you say how exactly?

Dry and scrubby, Saw a W-t later but got this one down as Western, but could be wrong.

To me too big for Grassquit, it was noticeably bigger than seedeaters in the same area.
The flycatcher definitely isn't a Western, hard to say what it is though.

Hi All,

I think that DMW had it right on the "bunting" early on. It is a funky angle and a tightly cropped image, which I suspect are helping to trip up minds. A few things stand out to me on this bird. First, the primary projection is REALLY short. Not the wing of a longer distance migrant. Also, the wings, tail, and emerging feathering on the rump appear black without bluish tones. These add up to Blue-black Grassquit for me, and I think rule out any other candidates.

I think Least Flycatcher is the best fit for the Empid based on appearance and location.

Chris

Hi All,

I think that DMW had it right on the "bunting" early on. It is a funky angle and a tightly cropped image, which I suspect are helping to trip up minds. A few things stand out to me on this bird. First, the primary projection is REALLY short. Not the wing of a longer distance migrant. Also, the wings, tail, and emerging feathering on the rump appear black without bluish tones. These add up to Blue-black Grassquit for me, and I think rule out any other candidates.

I think Least Flycatcher is the best fit for the Empid based on appearance and location.

Chris
My problem with the grassquit was the lack of streaking on underside?
Niels

Hi All,

Chris
Another big problem I have with my earlier answer is the structure of the mandible. Looking more closely, it is not the mandible of a grassquit. So 🤷🏼‍♂️

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back