• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher ID? (1 Viewer)

houtex01

I've attached four photos of a flycatcher for positive ID...these photos were taken October 2012 at San Luis Pass on the Texas coast line...at first I thought maybe an Eastern Wood Pewee but this bird seems to have a stronger eye ring than the Eastern Wood Pewee...my guesses are possibly Least or Alder...any help will be appreciated...thanks....

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2050 web.jpg
    IMG_2050 web.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2063 web.jpg
    IMG_2063 web.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2116 web.jpg
    IMG_2116 web.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2126 web.jpg
    IMG_2126 web.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 36
Definitely an Empinonax:
The strong eyering, rather short primary extension, big head, short tail look are best for Least Flycatcher

Andy

Definitely an Empinonax:
The strong eyering, rather short primary extension, big head, short tail look are best for Least Flycatcher

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy...Least is what I concluded also...

Will wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions or comments...

Ron

I'd agree with least, for the already state reasons. None of the eastern empids should show such a bold eye ring, and the large bill and large headed appearance should rule out dusky/hammonds as well.

Thanks to everyone for viewing and id help...appears that the ID for this bird is a Least Flycatcher...good news since this gives me a new specie for my photo database...

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back