• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher Id (1 Viewer)

Jmacmetro

Hi all, I saw this late flycatcher in Bergen County NJ on 10/19 and am not sure of it's identity. At first I thought it was an Eastern Wood Peewee, but after reviewing my photos I doubt that identification. Perhaps a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher but it seemed to large when I saw it although I know estimating size in the field can be inaccurate. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_8055.JPG
    DSC_8055.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC_8065.JPG
    DSC_8065.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
Do you have any more photos? October 19 is a pretty late date for YB Flycatcher, and worth considering a very rare Pacific-slope/Cordilleran ("Western" Flycatcher). They're extremely tough to separate visually, but the "Western" complex should have a shorter primary projection than YB Flycatcher. Very bold wing-bars may favor YB Flycatcher, too, but audio is the best way to separate them.

Last edited:
Do you have any more photos? October 19 is a pretty late date for YB Flycatcher, and worth considering a very rare Pacific-slope/Cordilleran ("Western" Flycatcher). They're extremely tough to separate visually, but the "Western" complex should have a shorter primary projection than YB Flycatcher. Very bold wing-bars may favor YB Flycatcher, too, but audio is the best way to separate them.
Hi Birdmeister, other photos are not much different, but here are a couple

Attachments

• DSC_8054.JPG
    DSC_8054.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_8063.JPG
    DSC_8063.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back