• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers, Michigan (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Given the quality of these pictures and difficulty in separating similar looking flycatchers, can I do any better than Empidonax flycatcher on either of these?

Thanks for any input!

Brian

1st individual: 1a-1e
2nd individual: 2a-2b

Attachments

• flycatcher 1a.jpg
    flycatcher 1a.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 21
  • flycatcher 1b.jpg
    flycatcher 1b.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 21
  • flycatcher 1c.jpg
    flycatcher 1c.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 22
  • flycatcher 1d.jpg
    flycatcher 1d.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 21
  • flycatcher 1e.jpg
    flycatcher 1e.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 20
  • flycatcher 2a.jpg
    flycatcher 2a.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 17
  • flycatcher 2b.jpg
    flycatcher 2b.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 22
If forced, I'd go alder fly for the first and least for the second. Slightly more confident of the second. We can't see some important marks in these photos (like primary projection for the first), though, and many would leave them unidentified.

Have a look at:

And see if you agree. It's based on the belief that the first is actually brownish (I created the table and so stared at quite a few photos for quite a long time...)

If forced, I'd go alder fly for the first and least for the second. Slightly more confident of the second. We can't see some important marks in these photos (like primary projection for the first), though, and many would leave them unidentified.

Have a look at:

And see if you agree. It's based on the belief that the first is actually brownish (I created the table and so stared at quite a few photos for quite a long time...)
Thanks! That table is very cool! Appreciate you sharing.

Brian

Have a look at:

Agreed, the first looks to be a Willow/Alder and the second a Least

Users who are viewing this thread

Back