• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Freeze Response? (1 Viewer)

Sarah C.

United States
Today we had a group of American goldfinches, an indigo bunting, and a rose-breasted grosbeak on the feeders, and a squirrel and a mourning dove on the ground, and they were all completely frozen. None of them moved for two or three minutes. I'm assuming they saw a predator, but don't these birds usually scatter at any sign of danger? They all eventually left and no birds have come to the feeder since (it's been about half an hour). Has anyone seen anything like this? It was certainly a weird experience!

I don’t think it is all that unusual, if the birds don’t think they can get to safety they will freeze like you described.

Hi Sarah.... yes I agree with Lisa. It happens over here too.

One day I noticed all the birds feeding on the shed roof flew into the neighbouring hedge, but there was one on my window feeder who just froze. I presume he didn't fancy the 12 foot flight to the hedge.

It lasted about 4-5 minutes and meantime I didn't dare move in case I frightened him into moving.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back