• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French bird and wagtail in uk (8 Viewers)

Not sure if you still get the large city flocks that go to roost in hundreds. Certainly numbers last year in Norwich reached c.200 at one site.

Think they just don't get reported much perhaps? I imagine every town has a roost somewhere nearby (eg down my way Falmouth Asda c150, Truro town centre 90) - there's a couple threads on here. The biggest I had was in Gateway supermarket car park, Wincanton, Somerset years back when I lived there of 1300+!

Last edited:
I wish I"d read the full post - Wagtail in Dorset! I stopped at South West France which could have all but excluded Pied.

Anyway, I agree its not possible a differentiate between the two from this photo.
Quite a lot of UK Pieds winter on SW Europe, a few even reaching Morocco and Mauritania. Mainly 1st winter females (with adult males least likely to migrate), so hard to pick out, but plenty of ringing recoveries.
Just out of interest are the White Wagtails, seen in Britain, more weighted to the 'west' coast or 'east'?
As far as I know yes, though some Norwegian / Swedish White Wags also go through Britain (most likely in East Anglia at a guess)

Ringing recoveries map:
https://app.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec10200all.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back