• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (12 Viewers)

This photo is the first I've seen showing a kite's tail in a moulting phase.
May I add it to our website, on the Red Kite page, with an acknowledgement of course? It's such a clear image and rather unusual.

I found your comment interesting as over the years I have taken plenty of such photos but usually binned them as by human rules of aesthetics they look a bit rubbish. Just shows what a load of rubbish such rules are....

John

Roost Watch 18 January 2014

2014 is a double Anniversary Year for Friends of Red Kites!

We begin with a Photographic competition and a Roost Watch, details of which can be seen on our website.

Attachments

• Roost Watch_ 18 Jan 14.JPG
    Roost Watch_ 18 Jan 14.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Roost Watch 18 jan14.JPG
    Roost Watch 18 jan14.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 57
2014 Red Kite survey - your help is needed

2014 Red Kite Breeding Survey

Friends of Red Kites (FoRK) are planning a survey of breeding red kites in the north east of England next spring and early summer. The aim of the survey is to establish the number of breeding pairs of red kites in Durham and Northumberland, including the areas of North and South Tyneside and Cleveland. FoRK already have a very strong monitoring team but would like to enlist the help of additional volunteers to carry out a more comprehensive survey.

Ideally, the survey will involve visiting potential breeding sites at least twice a month from the beginning of February to the end of June, although once evidence of breeding has been confirmed, visits will reduce significantly, and be made from a distance, to reduce disturbance.

Where possible, surveyors will be allocated a location close to their home patch.

Survey guidance notes and training, which will include a field visit to a local territory, will be available for those who require it.

Contact Ken Sanderson, mobile 07779413471, or email [email protected] for more information and to register your interest.

If you are interested but feel you cannot commit to the full survey then please still contact us, as any help, however much, will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sanderson

Chairman & Kite Officer
www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Roost Watch

Well done and thanks to all of the organisers of today's Roost Watch. Even though the weather was a little dull there was a really good turn out and everyone I spoke to seemed to really enjoy it. The Kites put on a good display and hopefully the event will make more people appreciate those beautiful birds and hopefully it would have inspired more people to become Friends of Red Kites.

Red Kite Roost Watch

How kind of you to write in with an expression of your enjoyment of the Roost Watch, despite the rather damp weather. But the kites were there weren't they? Ken Sanderson, our Chairman, who led the group, reported 42-44 kites in total.
Did you go down to the meadow from where the bigger group sighting was achieved? I stayed on the Viaduct and got some good photos, including some of youngsters enjoying using the telescope. Seven-year old Nathan and his younger brother are promising young birdwatchers! Nathan is able to tell you the difference between a kite and a buzzard!
I'm sorry we didn't meet - or maybe we did! Next time, do please make yourself known, having BirdForum in common.
Are you able to join our Survey Team? All the details are now on the 2014 Red Kite breeding Survey page on our website. www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
Your help would be really appreciated.
Hope it's okay to quote you when I up-date the report on this Winter Roost Watch?

Well done and thanks to all of the organisers of today's Roost Watch. Even though the weather was a little dull there was a really good turn out and everyone I spoke to seemed to really enjoy it. The Kites put on a good display and hopefully the event will make more people appreciate those beautiful birds and hopefully it would have inspired more people to become Friends of Red Kites.

June I'm the latest recruit to the monitoring team doing the monitoring on Mondays. I was in the meadow and although had mainly distant sights still loved the display. l will be joining the survey team wherever I'm needed. We also had a possible future star with our youngster with brilliant eyesight. I'm sorry I didn't get his name but he obviously enjoyed his time with us and saw a lot of the kites before anyone else did.

Friends of Red Kites Monitoring Team

Brilliant!! I knew we had another member on Mondays. I occasionally go out, but can't manage rough ground or distance (ruptured Achilles in the past!) so I tend to work from the car and cover areas I know well. I'm from Consett and plied the "low" route into town, past what is now our glorious Derwent country park for years! I also cover Medomsley and the moorland area, which again I know like the back of my hand.

You might enjoy listening to our interview with Keith Newman on Radio Northumberland - he is very supportive.

June I'm the latest recruit to the monitoring team doing the monitoring on Mondays. I was in the meadow and although had mainly distant sights still loved the display. l will be joining the survey team wherever I'm needed. We also had a possible future star with our youngster with brilliant eyesight. I'm sorry I didn't get his name but he obviously enjoyed his time with us and saw a lot of the kites before anyone else did.

Census data information UK

Good morning,

We are doing an article about red kite at www.birding140.com

Soon we will have census data that is being made in Spain these days. However, we don't have any recent data on the population of red kites in the UK. Could you help us?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Raul Birding

Red Kite data

Good morning Raul.
Your best action on this is to contact Duncan Orr-Ewing, Edinburgh RSPB.

Duncan collates all the UK breeding data and can be contacted at:
[email protected]

Hope this helps and Good Luck with your work!

June
Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites

Good morning,

We are doing an article about red kite at www.birding140.com

Soon we will have census data that is being made in Spain these days. However, we don't have any recent data on the population of red kites in the UK. Could you help us?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

Raul Birding

Anniversary Roost Watch Sunday 19th January

Despite a rather wet day, 42 people turned out to observe the gathering of our red kites into their Evening Roost near the Nine Arches Viaduct in Gateshead's Derwent Country Park.

Some folk stayed on the viaduct; others went down into the meadow by the river, from where they had excellent views of kites coming in. There were some fly-pasts, too, giving a lovely view of the kites at close quarters. Altogether about 44 kites were counted at the two split roosts.

Our thanks to everyone who took part. here are a couple of photos to enjoy.

Attachments

• W Roost Watch_62_JA.jpg
    W Roost Watch_62_JA.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 47
  • W Roost Watch_69_Nathan_JA.jpg
    W Roost Watch_69_Nathan_JA.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 42
Calling all photographers

Time to get your gear together; the kites are looking very lively!

The winners of our competition will have their photographs professionally printed and displayed at The Sage Gateshead, one of the most prestigious venues in the UK!

Good luck!! And Committee members aren't allowed to compete!!

Attachments

• Phot Competition 2nd call.JPG
    Phot Competition 2nd call.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Sage Gateshead 3.jpg
    Sage Gateshead 3.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Sage, looking west.jpg
    Sage, looking west.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 43
On Red Kite Wings

Our Red Kites have inspired people since they were first released into our Derwent Valley. Artists, photographers, sculptors and writers have all found these majestic birds a wonderful source of ideas.
One element was missing, however: Music. Now the post-graduate students of Newcastle University's International Centre for Music have composed pieces celebrating the return of the kites to our northern skies.
The poster gives all the details for this concert at which an Ensemble from Royal Northern Sinfonia will play their compositions.

Why not come along and be part of this unique venture!

Attachments

• ICMuS Saturday 15 February 2014.pdf
    98.8 KB · Views: 56
Our Red Kites have inspired people since they were first released into our Derwent Valley. Artists, photographers, sculptors and writers have all found these majestic birds a wonderful source of ideas.
One element was missing, however: Music. Now the post-graduate students of Newcastle University's International Centre for Music have composed pieces celebrating the return of the kites to our northern skies.
The poster gives all the details for this concert at which an Ensemble from Royal Northern Sinfonia will play their compositions.

Why not come along and be part of this unique venture!

This is one trip that I must make with my OH sometime in the future, June :gh:

Hopefully music will play its part too - love to hear what music is produced and that you post a 'taster' on BF.

Regards
Kathy
x

On Red Kite Wings

We were given a preview of the On Red Kite Wings compositions created by Advanced Music students at Newcastle University's International Centre for Music last Saturday. We now have to choose three winning pieces from nine, to put in the programme for our major all-day Celebratory Event at Sage Gateshead on Saturday 5 July 2014 - our double Anniversary event!
This was a collaborative venture: Friends of Red Kites, University and Royal Northern Sinfonia. What an experience for these students!

I'll attach a photo from this Concert which was attended by over one hundred people!

This is one trip that I must make with my OH sometime in the future, June :gh:

Hopefully music will play its part too - love to hear what music is produced and that you post a 'taster' on BF.

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• Orkwings_KH_15 Feb 14_50_JA.jpg
    Orkwings_KH_15 Feb 14_50_JA.jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 30
A celebration of ten years with our Red Kites!

Did you see Tony Henderson's article in Saturday's Journal? He did us proud!
I'll attach it - if it works..................

Mark Saturday 5 July on your Calendar - an all-day major Event at Sage Gateshead!

Can't believe it's been 10yrs!

Attachments

• Journal 15 feb 14 _TH_JA.pdf
    648.8 KB · Views: 67
Bardon Mill kite sighting

I'm sure you know a kite from a buzzard - we've had so many inaccurate reports, please forgive my asking for confirmation.
Tynedale of course is a black spot! Let's hope that our Major Survey gets some public attention which might deter those determined to wipe out these majestic birds.
Please keep on reporting - via the website or here, so long as the news reaches us :)
June

Kite reported at Bardon Mill on the Northumberland and Tyneside club site

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back