• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog spawn Q? (1 Viewer)

Hi Sue,
I think it must be a record year for frog spawn, I am amazed how many batches are there. The other night, just before dusk, I counted 9 Frogs peeping out of the pond. That's without counting the hidden ones causing ripples.
I think the natural world is truly awesome when you realise all this wildlife found my pond. As you know apart from plants, the only thing I introduced was a jar with 4/6 tadpoles & pond bacteria in a jar. I know at least 1 froglet survived from that batch.
Also, last year I got fantastic results from Damsells, Dragonflies & Newts.
Fingers crossed for a good summer
Thanks Sue x

Hi Pie,

I reckon you're right about the record year as we've had 7 Frogs in our pond, they're croaking out there now! The Natural World is fantastic and to be marvelled, who couldn't?! We had Newts once, but as far as we know, haven't had them since or not seen them at least. Fingers crossed for a good summer indeed!

Thanks Pie,

Sue.

We had our first this morning too. I moved my pond cam to the right corner, and set it to video, and went out to have a look.
I actually saw one lot being laid and fertilised!
This is a photo of a flabby empty Mum leaving the small spawn (it swells in the water).
Pie- if you want to use this photo, please send me a message and I'll send you the full size photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0349smauto.JPG
    IMG_0349smauto.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi Pie.
I was doing a bit of pond clearing yesterday, after being away for a week, and to my delight I have my first frogspawn. I don't fancy its chances of survival; I have some biggish fish in there. Still, fingers crossed!

All the best.
Baz.

Hi All,
Gosh Ruth! I think he's chancing his luck there. lol!. Mine are still spawning, I notice each clump is in different stages of development, so fingers crossed, the recent cold snap will not cause too much harm.
Thanks for the offer of pics Dampflipper, I should be ok for pics, all the activity in the pond has given me some fab photo's. You pic is terrific
Great news Tony & Baz, looks like a bumper Frog year. Lets hope the fish pick something else from the menu!

I counted 9 Frogs a few nights ago, they were poking their heads up, from a distance they looked like Crocks! :eek!:

Bye for now all and thanks again for your contribution.

Just for information:
I received the Froglife newsletter today by email, and they are encouraging schools etc to take frogspawn into schools to watch development, to encourage children to be more in touch with wildlife. They say it is fine as long as the baby frogs go back to the same pond.
Here is the newsletter:

"Children and teachers today advised to get out
there and spawn-watch

Froglife are urging teachers and children to get
out there and watch
frogspawn and tadpoles up close this spring.
Speaking today on the BBC's
'Newsround' series for children, Froglife is
letting people know that
this time of year is perfect to get to know the
UK's most charismatic
amphibian, the Common Frog.

Provided that the tadpoles are raised suitably
(to ensure the welfare of
the animals) and are then released carefully in
the same pond from which
they were taken, Froglife is keen to get across
that this is a great way
for children and adults to experience and learn
more about the wonders
of nature up-close.

"Keeping sticklebacks or frogs - it's how we all
get interested in the
first place." said recently Sir David
Attenborough, a supporter of
Froglife's message. "When people ask me, 'How did
you get interested in
animals?' I reply, 'How did you lose your
interest in them?"

For more information on how to keep common frog
tadpoles visit
www.froglife.org and get you your copy of the
FSC's 'Guide to Keeping
Common Frog Tadpoles'.
----------------------------------------------------------

Frogbites
Froglife - www.froglife.org

Froglife is a UK wildlife charity committed to
the conservation of
amphibians and reptiles - working with people,
enhancing lives together"
for a healthier planet.

To unsubscribe from Frogbites at any point please
email:
[email protected]

Ah, thank you for the link Dampflippers. I think Ive enough spawn to supply every school in Cardiff. My son estimated 1,000 developing tadpoles! eek!
Bobby's school project is already underway, they are allowed access to the pond at the adjoined primary school.
Im so pleased, schools are introducing the natural world to children.
thanks again DF

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back