• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi id needed (1 Viewer)

Jungle Cat

Hi all

Can anyone help with the id of these fungi seen today in mixed woodland in Hampshire. They were in the same area as lots of Scarlet Elf Cups.

Many thanks.

Clare

Attachments

• Unknown-fungi-small.jpg
    Unknown-fungi-small.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi all,

I would have thought these are Xylaria longipes as they are growing more or less singly (not clustered) and seem to have stalks (partially hidden beneath the moss).

Was Sycamore present? X.longipes is more or less restricted to Acer pseudoplatanus.....

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick

They did have narrow stalks. I'm not sure about the tree species unfortunately as they were all bare. There are Sycamores in that wood though as far as I remember.

Thank you. Fungi certainly aren't easy are they.

Clare

Fungi certainly aren't easy are they.

It depends - Some are very difficult - This one happens to be really easy if you have access to a microscope (The spores of the two species are quite different).

I would call these X.longipes, though if my life depended on it I think I'd check the spores just to make sure :)

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back