• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese? Irvine (1 Viewer)

Stuart Watson

Can anyone help regarding 4 geese which i saw on Friday at Irvine harbour?

One was completely white and has a stocky red or deep orange bill and legs.
One appeared to be a standard White Fronted, but couldn`t see any black lines on underbelly.
One was what can only be described as a 50/50 of the other two - White Front plumage , but extremely pale- almost white, and had no whiteness above bill.
The forth was tucked up asleep and so i couldn`t see the legs or bill, but from what i could see the plumage looked standard.

I`d like to know if these are genuine WF`s and the white one just an albino - not a snow goose as i initially thought. No idea if they are resident or not as i havn`t noticed them before. Any info. would be appreciated thanks.

Seems like possibly domestic versions of greylag which often show a white rim on beak and have patchy white and grey plumage

Last edited:
thanks guys - i`ve tried to find info on that website, but to no avail.
i guess i`ll have to go back with better bins and gather more notes.

Hard lines mcdonald -maybe they new xmas was nearby and made a dash for it

Suscribe to ayrshire-birding@yahoo groups,the full details on the web site.These geese will invariably be feral,there's quite a few appear on Ayrshire beaches.You'll find 'proper' whitefronts at L. Ken. Tom (Ayrhire)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back