• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese problem (example of subtle spam) (6 Viewers)

I do not want a hunting dog for geese problem.
There's lots of airports that use border collies to keep geese off runways. The hunting breeds aren't good for what I want. somebody said to me "Buy a border collie or another type of herding breed"
What is it?

One thing you could try is cutting the grass in front of the water very short, as geese generally like some cover in which to graze.

However, as far as I understand the breeding season may be approaching where you arre (please correct me if I'm wrong) so these geese may soon have young or eggs, so please bear that in mind if you're trying to scare them away.

Failing that, just learn to enjoy them. Geese are very charismatic animals, and a great addition to any wildlife-lover's garden. Personally I'd just thank my lucky stars if I got to live on a waterfront.

Hi Tom
Resident Canadian Geese can be frustrating to displace for sure. I reside in a lake community located in nw N.J. A beautiful community for boating, swimming, fishing, and especially birding. Although the geese are a delight to watch, their fecal deposits are another concern. Their consumption of "grass" results in about 1 pound of unsightly "pooh" a day. It does not take long for a favorite loafing area to become a health concern to walkers, playing children, other pets.

Resist the urge to feed bread, other foodstuff to "keep them coming back for more", they are opportunistic feeders and in short time can have untold negative results.

We have Town Laws against bird feeding with Police tickets being issued to violators.
This includes Song Birds as well, :( , the bird feeders attract the large population of Black Bears at night that not only eat the seeds but destroy feeders, rip off shed doors and have even tore off an auto door to gain access to Woodpecker mix.

I would think almost any dog breed would be suitable, my choice would be a Lab.

Good Luck !

I can afford herding breed but...

Hi all,
thanks to tell about border collie and herding breed.
I can afford border collie economically but I can't afford it mentally because I don't like dog. so any other solutions to keep away geese?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,
I can afford border collie economically but I can't afford it mentally because I don't like dog. so any other solutions to keep away geese?
Thanks

My advice is enjoy the geese and a small pooh problem is a small price to pay

Hello Friends,

Thanks for your suggestions. One of my friend has suggest me to buy a goose repellent. I want to know how it work to keep geese away from home? How to use it?

Thanks for your support...

Out of interest, why exactly do you want to keep them away? The earlier inference was because of them crapping on your land, but I'd like to know if that's why from you.

Geese repellant

Out of interest, why exactly do you want to keep them away? The earlier inference was because of them crapping on your land, but I'd like to know if that's why from you.

I want to keep away geese away not hunt it. If I buy any hunting dog than I have to look after it. I have to fed it. So I don't want to keep any hunting dog. And I also don't want to hit the geese. Still any suggestions than reply me..

Thanks

But, returning to my question, why exactly do you want to keep them away? Without knowing why, or what the area with the problem is like, it's hard to give detailed advice.

I find the solution

But, returning to my question, why exactly do you want to keep them away? Without knowing why, or what the area with the problem is like, it's hard to give detailed advice.
Hi ColonelBlimp,
well I have find the solution for the geese problem.
I'll use Geese repellant for prevent the geese.

The the answer of the question as you ask:"Why you want to keep them away?

Ans:
1) Geese are so frustrating bird for me.
2) Geese spoil my places(garden, backyard, parking place)
3) Geese were biting my child.
4) etc-etc.
so these are the reasons for keeping them away.

Thanks...

Ans:
1) Geese are so frustrating bird for me.
2) Geese spoil my places(garden, backyard, parking place)
3) Geese were biting my child.
4) etc-etc.
so these are the reasons for keeping them away.

Thanks...

Not sure you give any valid reasons there - why can't you just enjoy the Geese and get your child (as I do with mine) to enjoy the geese.

Geese are very cool - don't see them as a inconvience, after all isn't that the sort of attitude that gets rain forests felled and rare species extinct.

Sit back relax and watch some geese.

I can afford border collie economically but I can't afford it mentally because I don't like dog.

If you don't like dogs then getting ANY breed is not going to be the solution. Border Collies especially are the ultimate working breed and need far FAR more mental stimulation than the average dog lover can give. They are bred to run up to 70 miles per day whilst working sheep so you cannot tire them out with exercise and they need LOTS of mental stimulation like obedience/agility/nosework/working trials etc. Unless you are prepared to devote a large part of your day to this wonderful breed then they do, quite frankly, go loopy through sheer boredom and they soon turn to making up things to occupy themselves....which usually means stuff that is NOT pleasing to us humans!!! :smoke: I've had a collie in the past and believe me, they are NOT for someone who is not 200% committed to giving that dog a stimulating & interesting life. Mine wore me out and my legs were permanently on fire from so much exercise and attending training club three nights a week! :eek!: But, on the plus side, when I did go to bed I was so worn out that my insomnia was cured 3:) As a 'mere' pet they are a disaster and thousands end up dumped or given to recue homes because their owners just can't cope with their intelligence and needs.

As the others have already said, perhaps a solution towards finding ways to live with the geese' presence would be better. Is there any way you could put up some fencing to keep your garden/drive/children's play area goose-free?

A simple wire strung at about 1 foot height along the water perimeter will keep the geese off your lawn. They prefer to take off from the water and are reluctant to land on the grass areas unless they are quite extensive.
Agree entirely on the border collies. They are wonderful working dogs that just go mad from boredom when reduced to pets in urban settings.

Hi all,
Thanks

Probably too late, but please don't get a Dog. It would be cruel for someone who dislikes Dogs to get one, whatever the reason.

I don't believe this is a genuine thread. I remember a similar one a few months ago, endorsing the same goose repellant product.

I don't believe this is a genuine thread. I remember a similar one a few months ago, endorsing the same goose repellant product.

Really?

Well I tried the Goose Repellent mentioned, and it actually attracts Geese, so be warned if you are reading this thread.|=)|

How funny, Chris!:-Oooops...not really funny! What a waste of money then! Enjoy your Geese!o:D

I made it up Pam. Mike suggested the thread was merely an advert for a product, so I said it didn't work.|=)|

(But I think you know I made it up, and I've just ruined it with my reply, lol)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back