• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting my first camera for birding. I have two options. (1 Viewer)

Roynato

Brazil
Good evening friends. I'm new here, happy to meet you all and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would appreciate some tips on the matter ahead.

I have been taking bird pictures with only my smartphone ever since I really got into the hobby a couple of years ago, and now I'm considering getting my first camera.

It's not gonna be anything professional, so I'm looking at a super zoom, or as I see people call "bridge" camera.

I have very limited options as I live in a small town in shoutheast Brazil, so the two main options that I can find online around my budget (and even that only sometimes, because they are very expensive here) are the Nikon P950 and the Canon SX70 HS.

The canon is a little cheaper here, but from what info I could find, its older then the Nikon. The Nikon p950 I see has a little more zoom and some cool features, but i read some people complaining about the image quality because of the smaller sensor. Is the p950 image quality really worse than the SX70?

Which one of these two would you guys get for birding if they cost the same?

Thank you in advance for your time.

The Nikon is a more recent design, an upgraded version of the earlier P900. It has more reach, an 83x lens versus 65x for the Canon.
That said, neither is weatherproof and they both use a small 1/2.33" sensor (6.08 x 4.56 mm), which really works best in good light.
The Canon is no longer in production afaik, but refurbished specimens sell for about $600 US on Amazon.
The Nikon sells for about $800 US new and $650 US refurbished, also on Amazon.
I'd not owned either, but would opt for the Nikon, priced higher but more capable, but either camera will perform well in the hands of a skilled photographer.
There are extensive threads here on BF concerning both cameras, so you can get much more informed feedback there.
Good luck and please show us your photos after you decide.

I'd go for the P950 (and I say that as a satisfied P900 user). Its reach really is very good for getting record shots of distant birds. And with closer ones it's more than possible to get some very nice shots with it. It's just birds in flight that are problematic, but that will be the same problem for the SX70...

Thank you all for the replies so far. I appreciate it.
Haven't decided yet but I'm pending more towards the P950 at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back