• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting to grips with winter gull and tern ID (2 Viewers)

I am trying to get to grips with winter gull and tern ID. I snapped these two today at Weybourne, Norfolk.

I was hoping for a confirmation, i think these are Little Gull and either Arctic or Common Tern - the latter i cant seem to distinguis between the two.

I also have this bonus one i am completely stumped on, i know its a bad photo but possibly a grebe?

Thanks

PelomyLemony

Hello,
I agree with you, it's a 1cy Arctic Tern and a 1cy Little Gull.

For the Tern: you can clearly see the pale secondaries and the right tricoloured impression of the wing= the pale area on the secondaries continues as a "cutting in area" to the primaries (I hope that's understandable).

Do you have more pictures of the third bird?
I can't ID it with confidence, but I get a Slavonian Grebe vibe:
  • You got a Grebe vibe in the field?
  • pure and bright, shining white patch on the cheek seems good for this species and not so good for a Common Scoter or a Black necked Grebe (although the latter can have this, especially when taking picture quality into account. No offence you know).
  • a Smew has a flatter crown and head profile (is Nick Knatterton known outside Germany?) and the rounded head and the size in relation to the body gives your bird a jizz of a smaller Grebe.
  • But yes, single picture effects.... I hope for more pictures and comments.

Hello,
I agree with you, it's a 1cy Arctic Tern and a 1cy Little Gull.

For the Tern: you can clearly see the pale secondaries and the right tricoloured impression of the wing= the pale area on the secondaries continues as a "cutting in area" to the primaries (I hope that's understandable).

Do you have more pictures of the third bird?
I can't ID it with confidence, but I get a Slavonian Grebe vibe:
  • You got a Grebe vibe in the field?
  • pure and bright, shining white patch on the cheek seems good for this species and not so good for a Common Scoter or a Black necked Grebe (although the latter can have this, especially when taking picture quality into account. No offence you know).
  • a Smew has a flatter crown and head profile (is Nick Knatterton known outside Germany?) and the rounded head and the size in relation to the body gives your bird a jizz of a smaller Grebe.
  • But yes, single picture effects.... I hope for more pictures and comments.
Thank you,

Yes that does make sense.

As for the third bird, my first thought was grebe (possibly slavonian) but I havent seen one before and wasn't sure. Unfortunately it was a little way out in swell and by the time I took that photo it vanished and unfortunately I couldn't re-locate it. Regrettably I'll probably kwwp this one off the list for now!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back