• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glare on the Habicht 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with this.
I recently played around with this binocular, twice actually, but both times bought something a bit more 'everyday'.
But I couldn't find this reputed glare...
I looked towards the suns' direction, away from it, into the shadows etc, but couldn't find anything bad of note.
I did get one or two internal reflections but it was momentary.
Does this famous Habicht 'glare' come from light into the objectives, or light entering around the eyepieces from the side.
Sorry, I'm not very technical.
In a way I think the reports on this forum probably swayed me into buying something else.
That, along with the fact that I would probably 'baby' those little jewel binoculars, keeps me buying other stuff.
I know the 10 and 7 Habichts are better, but there is something very special about that 8x30.

I think glare might have been a hard commodity to come by in most parts of the UK this summer! But let us know what conditions were attendant when you did your trials - time of day, angle and intensity of sunlight, etc. Are you generally quite susceptible to glare or is this something that tends not to trouble you?

Last edited:
I think glare might have been a hard commodity to come by in most parts of the UK this summer! But let us know what conditions were attendant when you did your trials - time of day, angle and intensity of sunlight, etc. Are you generally quite susceptible to glare or is this sometime that tends not to trouble you?
It was early afternoon, quite bright, sunny and cloudy mixed. I moved the binocular around quite a bit, but got nothing bad.
I'd hate to buy one, only to find under certain circumstances that glare was a huge issue, as it seems to others.
A lot of my viewing is from my garden which is directly south facing over fields.
I am not able to test them at home.
Perhaps it doesn't affect me.
I've tried them twice now, and no real problems.
Thanks for your reply (y)

I recently played around with this binocular, twice actually, but both times bought something a bit more 'everyday'.
I looked towards the suns' direction, away from it, into the shadows etc, but couldn't find anything bad of note.
Does this famous Habicht 'glare' come from light into the objectives, or light entering around the eyepieces from the side.
In a way I think the reports on this forum probably swayed me into buying something else.
That, along with the fact that I would probably 'baby' those little jewel binoculars, keeps me buying other stuff.
I know the 10 and 7 Habichts are better, but there is something very special about that 8x30.

Usually, if you look for trouble, you will find it. Don’t look for it.

You will find on binocular forums, people sometimes find anomalies that either don’t exist or are greatly overstated. Does the various glares exist. Yes! I, too, have seen them. BUT: When I was just getting into amateur astronomy, my 3-inch Gilbert telescope showed me Venus, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.

Then, I started learning about optics. After that, I saw Coma, Astigmatism, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, etc. When do you think I was happiest?

Use your binocular to view Birds, Landscapes, Seascapes, or the night sky and be happy. Those who really care about bird watching scarcely notice most of the anomalies that drive the armchair opticians mad. These people can be happy with a 40-year-old Bushnell or TASCO, while some people MUST find fault with the best Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. It gives them something to talk about ... realistic and important or not.

Bill

Last edited:
Internal glare from the front of a binocular can't be confused with lateral light striking the eyepiece's eye lens because the two look completely different, to everybody, no exceptions.

The photos below show the source of internal glare in the 8x30 Habicht (left photo), what that glare looks like to an observer with a pupil properly centered on the exit pupil (center photo), and what the eye sees if direct sunlight coming from behind manages to leak around of the side of an observer's head, reach the eye lens and reflect back into the eye. In one case glare presents as an unfocused, slightly crescent shaped, wash of light concentrated in the lower part of the field. In the second case the observer sees one or up to a few small well defined circles of light running in a line through the middle of the field.

I know a lot of people like the 8x30 Habicht, but it's really not that hard for a pretty high aberration binocular to impress when the magnification is low, the observer is hand holding, there is no better reference handy and especially when that binocular is presented as a venerated object of cult worship.

I've used my post # 17 from this old thread a number of times, but here it is again: 8x30 Habicht vs 8x56 FL (stopped down to 30mm to represent what the contrast, resolving power and image sharpness of a state of the art 8x30 instrument looks like).

Coincidentally, I saw a lot of glare through one of my 8x30 Habichts just last night at twilight. I was looking into a very dark area with a brightish twilight sky above it. That's one of the most reliable situations for the Habicht's internal reflections from the metal retaining rings at the edge of the objective lenses and from the edges of the undersized prisms to enter the pupil of a well centered eye since the eye's entrance pupil is larger than the binocular's exit pupil in low light.

Edit: Thanks William. Your post saved me from having to write anymore, but I will mention that not every situation will excite visible glare from the Habichts internal reflections, even some situations where you would expect it. For instance, the bright glare near the sun may be so bright itself that it will obscure any binocular's internal glare within the FOV and the eye's pupil in that situation may be shut down to 2mm, leaving the Habicht's internal glare well outside the entrance pupil of the eye.

Try a dark area under an open sky at twilight if you want to nail down how the glare in the Habicht works.

Last edited:
My personal experience -for what its worth- is that with both my 8x30 and 10x40 Habicht‘s i almost never experience some kind of reflections. But i have to articulate that i never look for that kind of things for the purpose of discovering reflections. I’m more of a straightforward user that emphasizes on the good things of tools in general and especially optical tools. But i had some strange things going on some summers ago with the 10x40 while sitting under some olive trees in high summer (august) on Crete…i saw “double images”. Mind you was this was at noon, so maybe the position of the sun played a major role in this setting. Here in The Netherlands i never experienced reflections until now, only if i look at street lights, if necessary to look at street lights or something in the surrounding of street lights i use one of my Leica’s, they are more or less free of reflections. Hope this makes any sense at all…

I experienced the glare Henry talked about on an older pair of Habicht 8x30's I had, but I bought a new pair of Habicht 8x30's about two weeks ago, and I believe Swarovski has corrected the problem because I duplicated the situations where I had glare before, and I don't have it anymore! My S/N AA1315882A.

Last edited:
I experienced the glare Henry talked about on an older pair of Habicht 8x30 I had, but I bought a new pair of Habicht 8x30 about two weeks ago, and I believe Swarovski has corrected the problem because I duplicated the situations where I had glare before, and I don't have it anymore! Maybe those with a newer Habicht 8x30 could report if they see any glare on theirs. My S/N AA1315882A. Your S/N would have to be later than this one.
Lol. Mine is an AA11120A, no issues with glare that see with glare as some have described. Oh theres glare for sure, its just most of the time I see glare I also see it in other binoculars that are with me.

Coincidentally, I saw a lot of glare through one of my 8x30 Habichts just last night at twilight. I was looking into a very dark area with a brightish twilight sky above it. That's one of the most reliable situations for the Habicht's internal reflections from the metal retaining rings at the edge of the objective lenses and from the edges of the undersized prisms to enter the pupil of a well centered eye since the eye's entrance pupil is larger than the binocular's exit pupil in low light.

Edit: Thanks William. Your post saved me from having to write anymore, but I will mention that not every situation will excite visible glare from the Habichts internal reflections, even some situations where you would expect it. For instance, the bright glare near the sun may be so bright itself that it will obscure any binocular's internal glare within the FOV and the eye's pupil in that situation may be shut down to 2mm, leaving the Habicht's internal glare well outside the entrance pupil of the eye.

Try a dark area under an open sky at twilight if you want to nail down how the glare in the Habicht works.
The fact that you, with all your knowledge, own Habicht 8x30's kinda speaks volumes.

The asking price of $1,300 for the Habicht 8X30 is laughable.
Interesting, they are $1100 equiv here in UK.
But That view stands up to some of the very best as far as 'optical quality' goes.
Sure, not technically, flat field, sharp to the edges, etc..... but the view through one of these 8x30's is nothing short of spectacular centre field, and I believe they are worth the money.

Interesting, they are $1100 equiv here in UK.
But That view stands up to some of the very best as far as 'optical quality' goes.
Sure, not technically, flat field, sharp to the edges, etc..... but the view through one of these 8x30's is nothing short of spectacular centre field, and I believe they are worth the money.
Rg, I was with you all the way until you said they are worth the money, I don’t feel any of these high priced optics are worth the money 🤪. We pay the premiums because we want the best. Good quality $500 binoculars are darn good optics, and really seem to be worth the money and a good value. Now that I used the word good three times in one sentence, I’m off to pack up the Swaro Habicht’s, EL’s and Nocs and one other for a few hours at the preserve later today 🤭.

Funny thing, I usaullly take a camera case with the four chosen binoculars that fit in the case, they will go with me for the day. While sitting observing people walk by and notice the open case, and comment, wow you have a lot of binoculars. Some of us here would get a laugh at that. I dare not say , this is only one case out of a dozen. Come to think of it, I sure as heck better not say that if my wife is sitting next to me. ✌🏼

Paul

The fact that you, with all your knowledge, own Habicht 8x30's kinda speaks volumes.
Maybe not the volumes you think. I acquired my most recent 8x30 in 2016 only because I was offered the opportunity to obtain a brand new custom assembled specimen of the discontinued center-focus GA version (with the newest coatings). That was an offer I couldn't refuse even though I remembered well enough what I didn't like about the binocular (including the glare). I have a sentimental weakness for that particular model, warts and all, since it was one of the first "good" binoculars I bought about 40 years ago. I wouldn't have any interest at all in the non-armored version.

Last edited:
Rob
Not experienced any glare at all with either the 8x30 or the 7x42 but did read of many who did.

I am sure that in certain conditions it will be evident and more so if you go out of your way to induce it by how you hold your binos and where you point them but so far nothing that has registered on the glareometer for me.

Regarding cost and are they worth it? Yes I think mine are worth every penny I paid but I do accept the point Paul was making on price and worth. I was pleasantly surprised at the weekend to find that my £320 GPO 8x32’s were better (for me) than the £800 Trinivods I went to test.

With the money I saved I feel a 10x42 Habicht will go some way to overcome my disappointment in the Trinivods…..or possibly a pair of Ultravids which were stunning and as sharp as a very sharp thing.

Rob
Not experienced any glare at all with either the 8x30 or the 7x42 but did read of many who did.

I am sure that in certain conditions it will be evident and more so if you go out of your way to induce it by how you hold your binos and where you point them but so far nothing that has registered on the glareometer for me.

Regarding cost and are they worth it? Yes I think mine are worth every penny I paid but I do accept the point Paul was making on price and worth. I was pleasantly surprised at the weekend to find that my £320 GPO 8x32’s were better (for me) than the £800 Trinivods I went to test.

With the money I saved I feel a 10x42 Habicht will go some way to overcome my disappointment in the Trinivods…..or possibly a pair of Ultravids which were stunning and as sharp as a very sharp thing.
Pat , what didn’t you like about the Trinovid? And which did you test out?

Thx
Paul

Pat , what didn’t you like about the Trinovid? And which did you test out?

Thx
Paul
Hi Paul, they were lovely but as I said in my last post when asking for pointers on the 8 and 10x32's, the CA and eye relief were suprising blockers for me. More so in the 10x. Plus the FOV was (for me) very reminiscent of my 7x42 Habichts.

I was very impressed with the Ultravids though as the wily salesperson (note use of person, it was a bloke actually but do not wish to cause offence!) brought out a pair with that casual 'well your here so why not try these?' sketch.

They were stunning and worth every penny over the Trinivods but alas a tad out of the price range.

You will find on binocular forums, people sometimes find anomalies that either don’t exist or are greatly overstated. Does the various glares exist. Yes! I, too, have seen them. BUT: When I was just getting into amateur astronomy, my 3-inch Gilbert telescope showed me Venus, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.

Then, I started learning about optics. After that, I saw Coma, Astigmatism, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion, etc. When do you think I was happiest?

Use your binocular to view Birds, Landscapes, Seascapes, or the night sky and be happy. Those who really care about bird watching scarcely notice most of the anomalies that drive the armchair opticians mad. These people can be happy with a 40-year-old Bushnell or TASCO, while some people MUST find fault with the best Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. It gives them something to talk about ... realistic and important or not.

Bill
Ignorance is Bliss! :)

Bill
That was an excellent post! Very well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back