• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Orioles?? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

Anyone know whether the Golden Orioles have arrives in Norfolk yet?? ...or is a tad early??

Last year it was about the 15th May when reports started emeging from Lakenheath (Suffolk) so I suspect that the second week in May is your best bet.

Ruby,

I heard a male in the 1st week of May last year at Hockwold....
So....with the weather we are having...you never know!
I was tempted to go today...and go for Stone Curlew and Woodlark at Weeting swell...
But settled for surround sound Nightingales at Paxton instead!!!!
Lovely.

Dave.

Hi Ruby,
I would also hazard a guess that it is a bit early.The species doesn't breed here,and I would presume that overshoots from S.Europe occur a little earlier than the returning British birds,but there are very few late April records over here.The first two weeks of May seem to offer the best bet of finding one(as I did on 4th May last year).
Harry

deboo said:
Ruby,

I heard a male in the 1st week of May last year at Hockwold....
So....with the weather we are having...you never know!
I was tempted to go today...and go for Stone Curlew and Woodlark at Weeting swell...
But settled for surround sound Nightingales at Paxton instead!!!!
Lovely.

Dave.

Funnily enough Dave - my mind was mulling over exactly the same options!!

I am hoping to have a FULL day birding next Saturday and was considering options. As most people have said, I reckon that will be just a little early.

I may well do Oare and Elmley instead, and save Weeting/Lakenheath for a couple of weeks (or until some reports leak out!!)

Out birding for a few hours today - not overly inspiring but did see quite a few Warblers, LRP and Green Sandpiper....

All the best..... Ruby

Ruby,

If it stays as warm...I'll be off to Hockwold and Weeting next weekend...
I'll leak out any sightings I have...guaranteed!
Could do with...
Oriole
Hobby
Stone Curlew
Woodlark
To boost me year sightings...and try and close the gap on those 'big hitters' on the Forum!!

Faster Muttley...Dave!

The Timperley Posse (made up of Mike, Ben & myself) will be travelling to Weeting from Cheshire very early on Saturday 8th May before spending a few days based at Wells on the north Norfolk coast. We will be taking in Lakenheath if the Orioles have returned so any reports between now and then from the site would be most welcome!

Jane Turner said:
I find Lakenheath one of the most relaible places to see Hawfinches.. 3 out of three trips!

Funny you should say that, Jane.... I have made two trips to Lynford Arboretum in search of the mythical Hawfinches and am so far running at 0 out of 2!!

I will definitely be up there trying again though.....

deboo said:
Ruby,

If it stays as warm...I'll be off to Hockwold and Weeting next weekend...
I'll leak out any sightings I have...guaranteed!
Could do with...
Oriole
Hobby
Stone Curlew
Woodlark
To boost me year sightings...and try and close the gap on those 'big hitters' on the Forum!!

Faster Muttley...Dave!

Hi Dave,

I went to Weeting Heath last week, and the Stone-curlews and Woodlarks were showing well.

I was also at Paxton this weekend, and saw best ever views of Nightingales.

It seems we are covering a lot of the same ground!

And even more interestingly, in the Personal Best Year list thread, we have been getting very similar year totals (your 2002 figure was exactly the same as my 2000 one, my 2003 figure was within four of yours, etc.). I'll be interested to see how close we are at the end of this year!

Alan

Ruby said:
Funny you should say that, Jane.... I have made two trips to Lynford Arboretum in search of the mythical Hawfinches and am so far running at 0 out of 2!!

I will definitely be up there trying again though.....
You should try Bedgebury Pinetum - I have a 100% record (3 out of 3!) there. Even managed some half decent photos last time.

robinm said:
You should try Bedgebury Pinetum - I have a 100% record (3 out of 3!) there. Even managed some half decent photos last time.

Hi Robin,

Yes. I've heard of this place but never actually been there. I was thinking that I might pop in next time I'm heading down to Rye, but I seem to recall hearing that it's quite a big place (ie not conducive to a quick nip in and out!!)

Rgds.... Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Robin,

Yes. I've heard of this place but never actually been there. I was thinking that I might pop in next time I'm heading down to Rye, but I seem to recall hearing that it's quite a big place (ie not conducive to a quick nip in and out!!)

Rgds.... Ruby
This link shows the rough location of the Pinetum (access is from the B2079). I always go in winter when it is easier to see the hawfinch. Then they come into roost a couple of hours before dusk and always (since I've been going) to exactly the same group of trees.

It costs £3 odd to get in so worth spending some time there. Good for many other woodland birds including marsh tit.

Ruby,

Went to Lakenheath fen today...and YES there was at least 1 Golden Oriole there!!!
The car park has been moved closer to the Poplar plantations...so you don't have to trek so far!....I could hear him calling from my place in the Carpark!!...
Also saw/heard...
Grasshopper Warbler
Common Sandpiper
Barn Owl
Kingfisher
...and loads of Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats, Reed Buntings etc etc!!

Get there early if you can...I was there before 6 this morning...
If you leave it till after noon...you will struggle to find the Orioles and Groppers...

Happy days!....

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I'm going to try to get a day up there in the next couple of weeks (going to Minsmere next Sunday - first trip, really looking forward to it!!)

I was passing Weeting the other evening and managed to see (briefly) a pair of Stone Curlews and pair of Woodlark....so 50% of the mission is accomplished!

deboo said:
Ruby,

Went to Lakenheath fen today...and YES there was at least 1 Golden Oriole there!!!
The car park has been moved closer to the Poplar plantations...so you don't have to trek so far!....I could hear him calling from my place in the Carpark!!...
Also saw/heard...
Grasshopper Warbler
Common Sandpiper
Barn Owl
Kingfisher
...and loads of Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats, Reed Buntings etc etc!!

Get there early if you can...I was there before 6 this morning...
If you leave it till after noon...you will struggle to find the Orioles and Groppers...

Happy days!....

Dave.
Thanks for the tips Dave. I was thinking of dropping in next Saturday morning on the way to Suffolk. I shall try to get there as early as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back