• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birding in Bukit Tampin, Malaysia. September 2023 (1 Viewer)

asterisktom

Malaysia
My wife and I just finished a week in Tampin near to Malacca. A decent town with good food and friendly people. And - unlike some towns in Southeast Asia - there is a decent nature trail walking distance from the town. In our four times up this trail, a paved road with very little vehicular traffic, I made a number of good bird and animal sightings, including 5 additions to my bird life list.

The only drawback to this nature trail is that it is just that - one paved trail, no offshoots until you get near the top. Which we didn't.

Here are some of the birds I saw, starting with the five new additions to my list:
Verditer Flycatcher, Eumyias thalassinus
Rufous Piculet, Sasia abnormis
Tiger Shrike, Lanius tigrinus
Pin-striped Tit-Babbler, Mixornis gularis
Scaly-breasted Bulbul, Rubigula squamata
Asian Red-eyed Bulbul
Yellow-vented Bulbul
Oriental Magpie-Robin
Black-naped Oriole
Common Iora
White-throated Kingfisher
Asian-glossy Starling
Malaysian Pied Fantail
Pink-necked Green-Pigeon
Spotted Dove
Zebra Dove
Dollarbird
White-rumped Munia,
White-breasted Waterhen

Some of my target birds I wanted to see I didn't but I was especially glad to see the uncommon Scaly-breasted Bulbul and Verditer Flycatcher.

Also we saw Black Giant Squirrels as well as two species of monkeys, the common Dusky Leaf Monkeys as well as - much harder to get a good photo - the White-thighed Surili.

Shown here are: 1.Scaly-breasted Bulbul 2.Asian Red-eyed Bulbul 3.Rufous Piculet 4.Pin-striped Tit-Babbler 5.Black Giant Squirrel

Scaly-breasted Bulbul, Rubigula squamata.JPGAsian Red-eyed Bulbul, Pycnonotus brunneus.JPGRufous Piculet, Sasia abnormis.JPGPin-striped Tit-Babbler, Mixornis gularis.JPGBlack Giant Squirrel.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back