• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose migration (1 Viewer)

Edward

Umimmak
Iceland
On Saturday I saw two very big flocks of Pale-bellied Brent Geese (Branta bernicla hrota) coming in off the sea in south-western Iceland, arriving after a mammoth crossing of the Greenland icecap and the Denmark Strait from their breeding islands in northern Canada. They're the first ones I've seen this autumn, and a clear sign that the summer is well and truly over. They'll stay here for a month or so, refuelling before heading to the UK and Ireland for the winter.

Anyone noticed any movements of geese yet?

E

Unfortunately in Cornwall the only goose movements we see is Canada Geese moving between the moorland lakes and their feeding area.
Occasionally small numbers of Brent Geese do visit.

Could you send some of yours this way :-O

Pink-feet are coming into northeast Scotland now - saw about 60 yesterday. I saw a Pale-bellied Brent in Fife a couple of weeks ago but haven't seen any since.

I always look ahead to the Pale-bellied Brent arriving on the Dee estuary.
There were good numbers here last time.

It is great to see them fly from Hilbre island to Point of Ayr on high tide.

Hi Edward.

+My contacts in the goose world have informed me today that several Pinkfooted geese have arrived and are arriving daily in Scotland, N.W.England (Martin mere) and on the Wash in Norfolk and Lincolnshire. Several small skeins have been seen flighting over the past week in North Norfolk. Dark bellied brent geese are also showing in small numbers on the Lincolnshire marshes. The Icelandic pinkfeet will soon be here in their thousands. I cannot wait to hear their music!!!

Regards

12 Pink-Feet through Speyside today....the first this "winter"........there was a small flock of Barnacle Geese on the Ythan estuary last Wednesday too.

JP

Edward said:
On Saturday I saw two very big flocks of Pale-bellied Brent Geese (Branta bernicla hrota) coming in off the sea in south-western Iceland, arriving after a mammoth crossing of the Greenland icecap and the Denmark Strait from their breeding islands in northern Canada. They're the first ones I've seen this autumn, and a clear sign that the summer is well and truly over. They'll stay here for a month or so, refuelling before heading to the UK and Ireland for the winter.

E
hi edward , great to hear about the pale bellied brent , i have just got back from wells next the sea i went up to see the first pinks which started coming coming in on tuesday 14 th september , several skiens seen at the fresh marshes on holkam , like wild goose there wild call never fails to stir me , regards derek jake :clap: :clap:

John Marshall said:
Hi Edward.

+My contacts in the goose world have informed me today that several Pinkfooted geese have arrived and are arriving daily in Scotland, N.W.England (Martin mere) and on the Wash in Norfolk and Lincolnshire. Several small skeins have been seen flighting over the past week in North Norfolk. Dark bellied brent geese are also showing in small numbers on the Lincolnshire marshes. The Icelandic pinkfeet will soon be here in their thousands. I cannot wait to hear their music!!!

Regards
its been a long summer but at last they are back have been up to holkham to listen to there wild music to day looks like goose fever is back with a vengance wild goose

jpoyner said:
12 Pink-Feet through Speyside today....the first this "winter"........there was a small flock of Barnacle Geese on the Ythan estuary last Wednesday too.

JP
And an other 25 flew over Lhanbryde to-wards Speybay at 5 pm to-day.

jpoyner said:

JP

I've seen a flock of 5 Barnacles the last two weeks at the Ythan (in with Greylags and Canadas). It was suggested to me that these were feral birds that hang around all the time. I guess it's now the right time for migrants to be arriving too though.

Hi
many thanks for the replies. Saw lots of skeins of Greylags at the weekend but none appeared to be leaving yet, just moving between grazing sites. The only Pink-feet and Barnacles I saw this weekend were ones hanging up dead on washing lines, the hunting season is in full swing!
Lots of Whooper Swans across southern Iceland, also massing for departure.

E

Brant/Brent goose arrives in NE Ohio

Edward said:

E
Hi Edward I observed a single male brant 10-22-04 in Cleveland Ohio on the shore of Lake Erie,I have been told a flock of 10 were seen a few miles East of mine a day later.
Sam

Attachments

• BF brant.jpg
    BF brant.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 629
At last, while counting Gulls on the Camel Estuary, last night, 18 Pale-bellied Brent Geese flew in. A lovely sight. :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back