• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk? ? Raptor ID - Central NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

I was going through some old photos and found these images from Sandy Hook, NJ in Mid-April. Is this an American Goshawk? I am unable to offer size / general impression from that day, but the facial pattern strikes me as different from the other Accipiters. Thanks!!

Attachments

• sandy hook goshawk 1.jpg
    sandy hook goshawk 1.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 83
  • sandy hook goshawk 2.jpg
    sandy hook goshawk 2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 83
  • sandy hook goshawk 3.jpg
    sandy hook goshawk 3.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 84
Apologies for going off on a bit of a tangent, but I'd love to hear from those with field experience of both American and European goshawks about differences they've noticed in flight and in general behaviour. They're quite different in appearance, of course, as adults, and the European birds seem larger, but it'd be really interesting to hear about how these differences translate into actual behaviour and habits.

on another site birders mentioned that there would likely be some streaking on the undertail coverts which could be a reliable field mark. also the bird may have a full crop which makes it appear more bulky. I've seen some photos of goshawks with the slim-tailed appearance but vast majority have a wider-looking tail in flight. adult goshawks do have the solid white undertail coverts but I'm not sure when younger birds transition or what a partial molt looks like. I guess it is leaning towards a cooper's. Thanks so much for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back