• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawks in Scotland (1 Viewer)

John goshawk

Scotland
Hi

My favourite bird is the Goshawk. However I have only ever seen it twice in Scotland.
Another time I thought I saw one in Corstorphine hill in Edinburgh? A winter migrant?
Does anyone have any information or tips for seeing more of this magnificent bird.
Thanks John

It is unlikely that anyone will post known localities of Goshawk on a public forum (at least I hope!), but I hope the below information is of assistance more generally - this is a brief overview of (hopefully useful) information based on my experience having grown up in the Brecks and now living in the Forest of Dean:
1) Choose a suitable vantage point: Elevation is key - looking across an area (e.g. the side of a valley) and over blocks of woodland is best, however, looking down a valley where woodland is present on either side is a good second option. In lowland areas ideally you are after a matrix (where possible) of forestry, open areas and broad leaved woodland. Upland areas with blocks of Sikta or similar forestry will also be productive. Ideally you want as far reaching views as possible to maximise chances, but if you are unfamiliar with the species, it is best to cite your watching point within 1 - 2km of these areas.
2) When to look: Goshawk activity peaks from mid-Feb to mid-March when birds are displaying, however juveniles can be seen during July, and again from late October, especially once they've been kicked out of their parents territory. Woodland fringing farmland seems to be utilised in the winter period, particularly by immature birds. Birds can begin displaying as early as end January if the weather conditions are suitable.
3) Timing and weather: Most activity occurs between 09:30 and 11:00am during courtship/territory establishment. If the weather has been poor (rain/fog/high winds) for a few consecutive days, birds will utilise breaks in the weather later in the day. The optimal weather seems to be 0/8 to 6/8 Oktas, with Beaufort F2 - F5 (occasionally F6), dry with a temperature above 9°C.

Hopefully this helps as a starting point, and two final considerations - keep at least 500m away from woodland/woodland edges if you think Goshawk (or other raptors) may be breeding to reduce risk of disturbance, and if you are lucky enough to find Goshawk, it is advisable not to publicise the location (though your local county recorder would probably appreciate the information!).​

Reiterate what Dan says. Goshawk is quite common in upland forestry in Southern Scotland and Northern England. A 3-4 hour watch from 9-1 will usually suffice looking over ridges with mature timber nearby. I would expect to see Gos most days in this sort of environment except in early to mid winter.

Extremely helpful, very grateful.
Just to clarify Dan, are you suggesting a distance of at least 2km? Are we scanning with Binoculars at this distance, or is identification possible with naked eye.
Also just trying to understand the benefits of looking across a valley, rather than down a valley. Just trying to get the mechanics of this right! Seems important to understand!
Thanks very much John

Hi John, most welcome. The maximum range is unlimited in terms of what you're looking over, but for identification purposes (particularly if you are not confident with the species), I'd suggest just concentrating on birds visible within 2km. I'm lucky enough to be able to view 3 territories from my home, the nearest is 1.8km, then 2.8km and the most distant is 5.2km - the latter are only really discernible in good atmospheric conditions with a scope, and only really when observing the display flight. Scan first with bins, then enjoy with a scope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back