• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got my Peregrine XP's! (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Not quite sure what to write about them but a couple of observations stick out.
1) These things are incredibly sharp. Even after you reach that satisfactory focus point you turn the knob and it gets even sharper!
2) Compared them between my Nikon HG 8x32, Zen EDI 8x43 and Fujinon 7x50. Just looking across the room at some tomatoes on the window sill. All three mentioned gave an orange-ish/red color. The Steiner's turned them a bright red. Big difference there. (Considering staring a thread about neutral coloring versus that "Pop" you get with some bin's.)
3) Not as bright as the Zen's but to my eyes they are sharper so that kind of makes up for it. Not sure if a warmer view would describe it. I want to say it's a dirtier view but that would give the wrong idea. Was looking at the neighbors gutters and the browns (dirt) seemed browner.
3) The neoprene rain guard is not to my liking. I'm very aware of the metal snaps possibly being dragged across the eye-pieces. Not sure if this works for everyone but it seems when I'm most careful is when stuff goes wrong.
I was hoping these could be a beefed up version of my Nikon Venturer's. So far they seem to fit the bill.

As a disclaimer I was using them with my new contacts so take everything as you will.

Thanks!

There's quite a bit to absorb in those threads so it may take some time for me to respond with anything resembling coherence. Very limited fun time now that school's back in session.
I did however get a few more minutes in the field with the XP's. A couple more observations.
1) These Steiners are a combination of the best attributes of my (Well 2 out of three are "technically" mine. The better 1/2 claims her fancy whenever she wants.) other bin's.
a) The ER of the Fujinons (20mm)
b) The color saturation and quick focus of the Nikons
c) The handling and CA control of the Zen's with a little more weight to boot.
The added magnification rounds out the set quite nicely.
Looking up at a flock of starlings in the tree's with the sunset to my back was simply breathtaking! Confirming the HD signature in the objective tubes.

One drawback is the glare control (or lack of it). Looking into the tubes you see not a flat black coating but something akin to a metallic duracoat. I'll assume this contributes greatly to the glare. Probably a deal breaker for some.
In their defense, though, I never really noticed it in the Zen's, HG's or Fujinon's until I saw it in the XP's. Now, as with CA, I'm more aware of it than before. Really not worse than the others but noticeable for some reason.

There's quite a bit to absorb in those threads so it may take some time for me to respond with anything resembling coherence. Very limited fun time now that school's back in session.
I did however get a few more minutes in the field with the XP's. A couple more observations.
1) These Steiners are a combination of the best attributes of my (Well 2 out of three are "technically" mine. The better 1/2 claims her fancy whenever she wants.) other bin's.
a) The ER of the Fujinons (20mm)
b) The color saturation and quick focus of the Nikons
c) The handling and CA control of the Zen's with a little more weight to boot.
The added magnification rounds out the set quite nicely.
Looking up at a flock of starlings in the tree's with the sunset to my back was simply breathtaking! Confirming the HD signature in the objective tubes.

One drawback is the glare control (or lack of it). Looking into the tubes you see not a flat black coating but something akin to a metallic duracoat. I'll assume this contributes greatly to the glare. Probably a deal breaker for some.
In their defense, though, I never really noticed it in the Zen's, HG's or Fujinon's until I saw it in the XP's. Now, as with CA, I'm more aware of it than before. Really not worse than the others but noticeable for some reason.

Yippie:

It seems you need to spend some more time to get used to your new
optic. Sometimes the new one gets some excited, and I think you need
time to get a breath. ;)
The flashlight test does give you a look inside, but unless you know what
you are looking for, it is not important. What is important, is what the view is like with your binocular under many conditions.
Steiner makes some very good optics, and you have some others to compare
with.
Report back after you have some time. Don't be in a hurry, I have found
out it takes at least a week or 2 to become acquainted, with any new binocular.

Jerry

Still amazed!
Took them up to the Hawk tower on a clear sunny day. A week late so not many birds but enough to see if their intended purpose will be accomplished. Flying colors here folks! (Maybe some pun intended.)
The resolution is more than outstanding! Brought a bald eagle in closer than my 8x's (Zen ED1) and kept the CA to a bare minimum. Did realize I'd like to try a 30x on the Kowa but that's a different story.
Took them into the field after the sun had set but before 0-dark thirty. Rainy, heavy overcast to boot. These things pulled the color right off the pine siskin's flitting about the tree line. I wouldn't have known what they were if I had been using the Nkon HG 8x32's. A proven fact because we went back under much the same conditions two days later and just couldn't see the yellow on them. Granted 10x44 vs 8x32 the exit pupil is a bit larger but it really wasn't even close. They're not up to the Fuji 7x50 where low light is concerned but that's why I have those also.
I really can't get over how sharp these things are! It's like you reach a point where the focus is excellent, turn the knob just a bit more and it gets even better! The one drawback is the counterclockwise to infinity focus. But then again there's the IF of the Fuji's and clockwise of the Nikon's so I'd say all three focusing options are covered. :-O
I honestly get the whole honeymoon concept where new optics are concerned. Even been there a few times. Logically I won't rule out the possibility because I really liked my 10x42 SE's for a year or two but eventually sold them. It's also possible that it's getting late and I need to turn my attention to other pursuits. The better half couldn't possibly roll her eyes any further back into her head when I even mention the word "binoculars". Thinking about getting back into high power rifle comps. Time to start looking at rifle scopes again! Luckily I feel my bang for the buck compilation of bin's will hold for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back