• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Thanks geff its the best time of the day ,the valley was also very quite today because the road to derbyshire bridge was closed only saw about 10 people from home to burbage

A quick vist yesterday ,parked in the long carpark by errwood and walked along side the res then a loop on the riverside walk saw 3 common sands 2 tree pipets and heard more 1 pied fly 1 grey wagtail . The leaves are starting to obscure veiws of the birds to some extent now heard only chiffchaf, - cuckoo curlew . The valley is closed to through traffic at the moment and you can only park in the first carpark on a sunday from now till september

Not been up the valley for a while just got back from a long weekend in norfolk and decided to have a walk up there today . My wife donna gave me a lift to fernilee res and i walked from there ,the first bird of intrest was a common sandpiper just up from the dam then another 200yrds further on then a suprise 2 spotted flycatches in the woods at the top end and also a tree pipet a couple of greater spotted woodpeckers just below errwood dam was nice ,then across the bottom of the dam and up the other side . Just before the bridge i headed up when a stunning woodcock broke cover from the bracken i then did a loop around the ruins of errwood hall lots of chiffchaffs singing but not seen 2 blackcaps that i did see Back to the lower ground and my first pied fly of the day closely follow by another ,on looking for what i thought were chicks the nosie was infact 2 treecreepers Whinchat was the next bird of note much later coming out of the valley ,then a bird i could not I D at first small and brown and there were 3 of them they were red grouse chicks the mother faked a broken wing but as soon as it sclicked they were grouse i hurried awy i have heard in the past that if the adult bird flys of it can be hard to refind the chicks so i took no chances On dropping in to buxton 3 curlews were flying around calling a great end to the day

Attachments

• curlew 2.JPG
    curlew 2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 73
In the Goyt yesterday, 1 Hobby flew over Errwood Resr in the morning, then it or another was over Berry clough later. Three pairs of Pied Flyctchers in the woodland south of Errwood Resr, two of which were feeding young. Also there 3 Spotted Flycatchers. I counted 11 Blackcaps, 1 Garden Warbler, 6 Tree Pipits, 1 male Redstart, pair of Grey wagtails, 1 Dipper, 5 Buzzards & 2 Sparrowhawks between Errwood Hall & Berry Clough. According to the log book, a Wood Warbler has been seen & heard near the gate top the riverside path recently & there have been a pair of Whinchats in Berry Clough, although both eluded me.

Out in the valley again today ,bus to buxton and walk from there to burbage then derbyshire bridge and back down the valley ,7.30 on burbage edge and already is getting warm ,plenty of red grouse about quite a few with chicks also lots of curlews . The road is still blocked from derbyshire bridge so i had to walk towards the cat and fiddle then cut across the open acsses path to the right . Oddley a heron flew overhead ,this was in the middle of a grouse moor ,meadow pipets were everyware and i only saw 1 rapter a lone kestral ,lots of chicks called from the trees and a redstart flew around the riverside walk ,i saw a cuckoo in fight and another was heard at the same time also saw a tree pipet , by now it was getting hotter so i seed up to try and missd the hotest part of the day just time to see a common sand piper on ferilee res and another couple of redstarts also 2 grey wagtails along with swallows swifts and house martins a nice way to end the day before it got to hot ps i never knew sandpipers had toe nails

Attachments

• common sand hot.JPG
    common sand hot.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 42
Another early start from home very quite at first just bird song a couple of common sands towards the top end of fernilee res ,curlews flying around errwood dam a lot of chiffchaffs heard but not seen a few willow warblers no sign of any cuckoos today i think they must have done most of there calling by now 2 redstarts on the road just before the quarry carpark and 2 whinchats they have moved lower down berry clough about 100yrds above the stone ruins to the right of the path lots of small orange butterflys with a black spot on the wing and mases of either grasshoppers or crickets not sure of the id a nice treat was a dipper on the stream at serpentine walk going into buxton

Attachments

• dipper buxton.JPG
    dipper buxton.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 39
S E Owls

Went to check the S E Owl site this evening Great views in the evening sunlight with 3 birds flying at one point. Also Curlew Red Grouse Buzzard and Skylark(which Im finding harder and harder to come across)

Went to photograph SE owls yesterday evening. Didnt manage any decent shots but did see a female Merlin. It flew across the valley and sat on a drystone wall for about 5 minutes. When I tried to get closer for a photo it flew back across the valley and landed out of sight. Anyone know of any breeding records?

Went to photograph SE owls yesterday evening. Didnt manage any decent shots but did see a female Merlin. It flew across the valley and sat on a drystone wall for about 5 minutes. When I tried to get closer for a photo it flew back across the valley and landed out of sight. Anyone know of any breeding records?

There were a pair that bred just across the Staffs boarder near the roaches which as the Merlin flys is not that far away. Unsure about this year.

Tim.

Agree Dave. Wasnt my intention to get detailed breeding locations just whether known around the Goyt Valley

Calling Goyt Valley birders

Struck me that there were quite a few birders around the Goyt Valley area all doing there own thing. Wondered if there was any interest in meeting up and getting to know each other, sharing expertise etc. If interested drop me a pm and if there is sufficient interest Ill arrange an evening pub meet to start things off

Jeff you did better than me with the SEOs..... I was at Derbyshire bridge for an hour (couldnt stay longer had a meal booked at Leathers pub) no sign of any 18.30 - 19.30

Dave

Jeff you did better than me with the SEOs..... I was at Derbyshire bridge for an hour (couldnt stay longer had a meal booked at Leathers pub) no sign of any 18.30 - 19.30

Dave

None again this evening 19.30 - 20.30

Could they have moved to the other side of the Goyt and are the same ones that Goyter has been watching????

Got a lift to fernilee today and started my walk from there ,decided to have a change today and walk up the long hill side of errwood for a change . The pied wagtails and grey wagtails were busy flying aroud the overflow by fernilee dam but my attention was drawn to a squeek from the sky looked up just intime to see 2 oystercatchers flying over the dam <not that common bird in the valley> . A couple of common sands on the left bank was all of note ,then up the dam and up the road to the path turning right, curlews were the main birds catching my eye on the first section ,but i noticed a woodpecker on the feeders neer the top end of the res , flew off staight away i thought it might return so i hid in the ferns and threw my camo coat over me 10 minutes later the greater spotted woodpecker came back and i got a few shots A family of kestrals hovered over the next valley and as i looked out towards the res a sparrowhawk flew in low then dived ,a female phesant flew up at it ,it was so quick i didnt notice that it was carrying off one of the chicks a few wing beats and it was gone . A chat chat sound gave away the location of a male stonechat father on ,then on the wooden walkway a common lizard was spotted ,it looked like a young one but on checking the photo i am not sure it looks as if its losed its tail and grown a new one as the tail seems a different green ? The rest of the walk was pretty univentful from there to buxton

Attachments

• goyt valley woody.JPG
    goyt valley woody.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 49
  • stonechat 9.JPG
    stonechat 9.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 65
  • common lizard 7.JPG
    common lizard 7.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back