• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray-headed Woodpecker near Vienna? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear Everyone,
does anyone have information on where if at all the GHW has been seen near Vienna? I will be visiting in May, and even if it is slightly later than optimal, I would appreciate any information.

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels, sorry, I can't help you with your question (I only know where to look for them here in the mountains), but I suppose the best thing to do would be to ask the vienna birders. you will find lots of them hanging out on our forum on www.bird.at

you will see that you can change the language of the website to english, and then head over to the forum. as would be expected, most of what is said on the forum is in german, but there are lots of birders here who speak english so please feel free to post in english - if there is a useful answer out there, then the best place to look for it would
be on our forum

oh, and if you are there in may you have to head out to seewinkel/neusiedlersee for a bit!!!

Happy birding, and enjoy your stay in vienna
Dale

Hi Niels, I remember many years ago that they were possible in the Schonbruun Palace Gardens in Vienna, a friend of mine even had one come down & take food out of his hands. Sadly when we went we didnt see any, but Syrian W/pecker was very showy, being habituated to people i guess.

Hi Niels, I remember many years ago that they were possible in the Schonbruun Palace Gardens in Vienna, a friend of mine even had one come down & take food out of his hands. Sadly when we went we didnt see any, but Syrian W/pecker was very showy, being habituated to people i guess.

Schonbruun always used to be a classic site for the species and I've not heard that anything's changed. I suggest that if you mug up on the species' calls &get there nice and early, then you should them,

Thank you everyone, I have only read a few recent trip reports, but none of those had the GHW in Schonbruun. It will be great if it is still there.

I have been to the Neusiedler area before, seeing at least some of the expected species there. Given that this is not a vacation, I probably will have difficulty getting that far away.

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back