• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in August, Graubunden (1 Viewer)

Masevalo

Netherlands
Hi everyone,

This summer I will be visiting the alps for only the 2nd time yet in my life, so I would love to make it a very memorable trip.
We are based in Bergun near St Moritz. Its still incertain of we go by car or not, so any recommendations near public transportation will also be highly appreciated!

I’d love to see some species like Snow finch, Pygmy owl, Citril siskin, Blue Rock Thrush and Lammergeier.
And ofcourse Wallcreeper (a species that nobody want to see😉.
Ive seen some alpine species like Alpine Swift and Alpine Chough before, but love to some typical alpine species again like those and Alpine accentor and Alpine crow.
other than that I would absolutely love to see Capercaille, but I understand since its a vulnerable species that locations are kept secret.

Thanks for listening and for any future recommendations!

Maarten

Extra note,

We are also looking for someone to do guiding about birds and maybe also butterflies, reptiles and other species in the area. Recommendations are highly appreciated

I can’t help with Capercaillie in that area but in my experience with patient googling in both English and German there is some info on them for CH.

The Pygmy-owl might be a bit harder that time of year but it’s mostly a combo of good habitat and being out dusk and dawn. If you look up the species profile for Pygmy-Owl on the Vogelwarte site and use the occurrence heat maps it can point you to the right areas. The rest of the birds you mention are not super hard - eBird and ornitho.ch can help though ornitho limits what data you can see. Snow Finch will likely be pretty high in elevation that time of year. Wallcreeper can be anywhere high with cliffs in summer.

Hi Maarten
Also Look on Ornitho.ch and Swissbird Alert before you arrive and contact us on Switzerland 2024 on this forum for updates etc.

Bergun is a great area with good potential for Alpine Birds. Spotted Nutcrackers are a joy there.
There are good rail connections and good walks around.

I am not sure how reliable these bird watching trails are but I enjoyed some of the walks
Cheers
Mike

Hi Maarten
Also Look on Ornitho.ch and Swissbird Alert before you arrive and contact us on Switzerland 2024 on this forum for updates etc.

Bergun is a great area with good potential for Alpine Birds. Spotted Nutcrackers are a joy there.
There are good rail connections and good walks around.

I am not sure how reliable these bird watching trails are but I enjoyed some of the walks
Cheers
Mike
Thanks a lot Mike!

I can’t help with Capercaillie in that area but in my experience with patient googling in both English and German there is some info on them for CH.

The Pygmy-owl might be a bit harder that time of year but it’s mostly a combo of good habitat and being out dusk and dawn. If you look up the species profile for Pygmy-Owl on the Vogelwarte site and use the occurrence heat maps it can point you to the right areas. The rest of the birds you mention are not super hard - eBird and ornitho.ch can help though ornitho limits what data you can see. Snow Finch will likely be pretty high in elevation that time of year. Wallcreeper can be anywhere high with cliffs in summer.
Thank you that helps out alot! Do you maybe have a reliable location for rosefinch? It is still a lifer and I cant seem to find the good places near Bergun for it. It would help me out alot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back