• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Egret or Great Blue (white phase) (1 Viewer)

sirijay

I took this photo at the in Oakland. I have seen numerous Great Egrets but this particular bird impressed me with its sheer bulk and size. The egrets I have seen before in comparison, appeared to be far more thinner and smaller in size. Hence the question. Is this a a white morph of the Great Blue Heron? Thanks for your help.Great Egret or Great Blue (white phase).jpg

This one's a Great Egret. The bill is significantly thinner than a white Great Blue, and also brighter yellow. The legs are just visible and quite black, not the dirty brownish/flesh color of Great Blue.

The white morph of Great Blue Heron is only seen in the Southern Everglades, Florida Keys and parts of the Caribbean, so finding one outside of this region makes it a true rarity.

Also, so you can have a visual cue of what to look for if you're ever in these regions, here is a photo I took of one late last year in the Flamingo area of the Everglades: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/272015511

just as an aside - Great White Heron Ardea occidentalis has been recently split by Birdlife International (although the split was declined by NACC and IOC)
cheers,
James

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back