• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater short-toed lark (Calandrella brachydactyla) ? Algarve today (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I agree with Butty: both birds are Corn Buntings imo.
Please note:

The right bird
  • chunky, all-yellow (not bicoloured) bill
  • the right head pattern with a large soft-pale area around the eye and lores (I hope thats understandable)
  • the moustachial stripe is the most prominent stripe in the head-pattern= good for Corn bunting, unusual/rare for Cirl Bunting and Yellowhammer
The left bird is a Corn Bunting for me too:
  • pale, sandy-greyish rump and uppertail-coverts. Difficult to be sure, but thats a feature of Corn Bunting.
  • straight pale edges to tertials
  • many winter plumaged Cirl buntings have rufous or orange scapulars, regular forming a contrasting patch (you have to search for it, but then its obvious). This bird lacks this.

Sorry, once more: "wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil".

Both birds arent Greater short-toed larks imo:

left bird: tertials have really contrasting black centers, the darkest part of the wing
right bird: shape of the bill is good for a Bunting and wrong for a Greater short-toed lark as Butty has already said.

Both birds: And I think, streaking to the flanks is too obvious for most Greater short-toed larks. But good for a Bunting. Yes, this is whishful thinking as perspective is bad to judge this with confidence.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back