• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe controversy - Sweden (1 Viewer)

pinussen

I know, I know, it seems to be the convenient answer to everything, but have there been hybrids of these species. To me it's right between slav and black-necked

Yep, sure is a difficult bird :) And differnt pictures of it shows it in different ways... The face pattern is quite different from a normal BH, more like a slav. Same with the beak colour, white tip.

The slightly upturned bill,more delicate looking also suggests B n grebe to me coupled with the steep forehead.However the sooty black cap usually extends down onto the cheek.So I wouldn`t rule out a hybrid either.

Steve.

Wow! Fascinating bird!

With that bill I can see why people would identify this as a Black-necked Grebe, however I don't think it can be a pure Black-necked Grebe.

There is one pertinent feature that no-one's mentioned yet, although I'm not sure how good a feature it is as I've never seen it noted in the field guides. But Slavonian Grebe usually, if not always, shows a pink gape/loral line (also often pink on the base of the bill) whereas this is usually, if not always, black on Black-necked Grebe. Perhaps it's more variable than it seems to me, but I've checked it on enough birds, either in life or in photos, to think it's a pretty good pointer at the very least. I've just had another look at a load of images and can't see any exceptions.

A pink loral line is clearly visible in this photo. This feature, together with the straight and clear-cut border between the black crown and white cheeks without any downward extension of black into the cheeks , makes me think that this bird cannot be a pure Black-necked Grebe.

Structurally however I agree it looks much more like Black-necked Grebe. Actually the bill looks right for Black-necked Grebe and totally wrong for Slavonian but the head and neck IMO looks somewhat intermediate between typical structures of each species. I am not sure the extend of light/dark on the breast is clearly out of range for etiher species.

I can just about conceive that a defect could result in an aberrant bill structure on a Slavonian Grebe which, by chance, happened to resemble Black-necked Grebe. It seems a bit far fetched though, especially in the light of the rather un-Slavonian-like head shape.

So for me it's either a really, really weird Slavonian Grebe or, much more likely in my opinion, a hybrid Slavonian x Black-necked Grebe.

Very cool!

It's aberrant Slavonian or Black-necked/Slavonian hybrid for me. Black-necked Grebes are almost year-round in Reno & I see lots and lots of them annually in all plumages but I've never encountered one like the bird under discussion here.

Fascinating bird & thread.

I wonder if such hybrids are fertile... could be a hybrid back-crossed with a slav, as seems to closer to latter, just with that weird bill

In Sweden we haven't really dared to venture to the hybrid theory, mostly because it seems to belong to the two other Grebes like a family. And there are not much evidence of BH/Slav hybrids earlier, saw one possible hybrid mentioned in Scotland 1973, as well as some lists mentioning that they do hybridize(?).

Could some kind of deformation of the skull/bill produce a Slav looking like this? That would be the closest explanation.

Too bad there are no pictures of the older hybrids, would be interesting to see.

The Grebe is gone now, but not the two Slav. Maybe they weren't a family after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back