• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

Oh no...not that Virginia rail again. The entirety of its reported existence last year, over a period of months, I hunted for that thing and never saw it. Here we go again! ;)

I heard a Virginia Rail near where the Cinnamon Teal was being seen.

I saw a Virginia Rail near the Gazebo on the left loop/branch where there is a lot of alligator flag and Sora.

Carlos

Quick update from Saturday at Green Cay - it's getting a little more 'wintery' with the bird selections lately. Sora are back in fairly large number, green winged teals are back, northern harrier is flying his rounds, a massive number of yellow-rumped warblers have invaded (more than I can ever remember being there - dozens, if not hundreds), along with quite a few black and white warblers, palm warblers, blue-grey gnatcatchers, and lots of eastern phoebes. Red shouldered hawks in pairs, several roseates still hanging out there. And of course, all the usual suspects.

sounds like both places are good for bird photography. im due to be passing by on the 26th dec I may just take a look in . Any advice for best places for photography

Indeed - I'd highly recommend hitting both of these parks if you're in the area...they're just 1 mile from eachother, so very easy to hit in the same afternoon, back to back. If you've got a whole day, you might start off at Arthur Marshall Wildlife Reserve, about 4 miles west - it's a good starting point because it's more open marsh, lots of alligators, and scattered bird selections, a nature center and small cypress trail. Spotting isn't as dense there, but can be good. Then when you go to Green Cay & Wakodahatchee, it'll be a completely different experience - much more populated with people and much more 'controlled' with boardwalks and signs...but also a huge density of birds within easy sight, with lots of personal encounters.

many thanks zack will deffinatly try green cay and wacko dont think i ll have time for the other one will be travelling down to the homestead area later on

Made it to Green Cay at long last, and was not disappointed, Like the board walk nice to be above the birds and looking down into the habitats. Had great views of American Bittern,Sora, Purple Gallinule, and Northern Hawk right by the edge of the board walk. all the staff I met were very helpful and a credit to the place. Now in Indian Rocks for a week. Any good birds around the area?.

Saturday at Green Cay, the sora are back in good numbers - spotted at least 5. Also spotted 2 least bittern along the back path. Yellow rumper warblers and eastern phoebes are there in large numbers, with some common yellowthroats mixed in along the east end boardwalk. Northern harrier and kestrels both making rounds fairly out in the open.

Sunday at Wakodahatchee, nothing really new there, but the Great blue herons are nesting now (and mating), having taken over the tree nest areas from the anhingas and cormorants which are mostly hatched now...though still on some of their nests. Egrets are still holding on to a few nests mixed in too. I did see one sora there...quite a few palm warblers and red-winged blackbirds...not many other warblers yet. One roseate who's still there for the past month or two, and the kingfishers are still there (at least 3) more than in past years. A few green winged teals have mixed in amongst the blue winged teals, and the black-bellied whistlers are still there too.

Update on Wako & Green Cay from New Year's Weekend...It's been absolutely excellent the past few days - really starting to get some great sightings of the more elusive birds lately. Saturday at Green Cay, I counted 15 sora, easily...many right out in the open...half a dozen purple gallinules, lots of palm and yellow-rumped warblers but also several pines and prairies, blue headed vireo, blue grey gnatcatchers, and black-and-white warblers. Northern harrier was on good display as was red-shouldered hawk. Heading to Wako, kingfishers were out and about, and American bittern was an easy spotting. Roseates still hanging there, and of course the usual GBH breeding/nesting, and all the usual heavy volume of egret & heron varieties. I spotted an unusual looking hawk - I need to get the photos up for an ID, for the chance it may not have been a red-shoulder...and I watched a great sequence (with a few shots too) of a red-shouldered hawk swooping down on a rat, taking it to shore, holding it down, then flying off with it.

Sunday, I stopped by Green Cay after visiting Arthur Marshall - and had another great run - starting with pine warblers, then northern harrier and red-shoulder hawk fighting eachother, then a huge number of painted buntings - at least 5 male and 2 female all over the feeder. A least bittern, followed by a screetch owl sitting in the hole of one of the owl boxes, lots more sora, black-crowned night heron, and the usuals.

Green Cay on Saturday January 7 was still up on the bird count, especially sora, least bittern, and American bittern, all which are near-guaranteed sightings. I counted at least 11 sora in the open along the back stretch, with 4 least bitterns mixed in. Two American bittern were rooting around in the open. Lots of warbler variety continue in the small alligator pond area, and a good number at the beginning of the chickee-hut tree canopy. Painted bunting continue in the little off-trail gazebo feeder. Marsh wren was a nice first photo for me, and a fantastic display by the juvenile northern harrier, who made a nice set of passes right over the boardwalk.

Alright, you've convinced me. I will have to try Green Cay again this weekend for Bittern.

Of course you know that means they will be in hiding - so I'm warning you ahead of time ;).

I'll be visiting both Green Cay and Wako likely Saturday - so if you go, make it Sunday so you don't chase away my bitterns! ;)

Actually, if you go Saturday, I'd be glad to show you where I've been getting the sightings of each.

Probably close to then - maybe 12-30pm would be safe. I'm planning on getting out of my house between 11:30 and 12 - then it's just the drive over. I'm in Boca, so not far from it.

Looks like my Saturday Green Cay and Wakodahatchee visit netted at least one bird I've not previously photographed...after posting over on the ID board, it appears that a very small raptor I spotted at Wakodahatchee from very far away was a sharp-shinned hawk. Other Saturday Wako updates: no wurdemans anymore, several black-crowned night herons, several sora, lots of palm warblers, and the most insane quantity of black-bellied whistling ducks I've seen there in all my years - at least 50, maybe 75 of them within clear sight, and more possible in the unreachable ponds to the north.

At Green Cay, American bittern were still around, lots of sora, pine, palm, prairie, yellow-rumped, and common yellowthroat warblers, downy & red-bellied woodpeckers, a lovely blue-headed vireo, and northern harriers still circling.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back