• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green dot laser pointer - recommendations (3 Viewers)

Allen

Hi. I'm off to Belize in a couple of weeks and it will be far easier to get my partner onto birds using a green dot laser pointer than verbal directions, similar to what bird tour guides use. Does anyone have any experience of recommended models/brands? Thanks

Yes, they're brilliant - if used sensibly, which many people do not. People commonly point far too close to the bird and then are surprised when it promptly flies off.
I bought my last one 7-8? years ago which was minutes before they (viz. properly-bright green ones) were (apparently) banned from commercial sale in UK. So you will probably have to cast your net wide and to less-regulated lands.

Yes, they're brilliant - if used sensibly, which many people do not. People commonly point far too close to the bird and then are surprised when it promptly flies off.
I bought my last one 7-8? years ago which was minutes before they (viz. properly-bright green ones) were (apparently) banned from commercial sale in UK. So you will probably have to cast your net wide and to less-regulated lands.
If UK immigration find one in your bag, you will lose it.

No idea how good the lazer is but I've found their torches pretty good for the money (horribly aggressive marketing though!):

I understand that you can obtain super powerful versions from eBay. Produced in and shipped from China, if I remember correctly.

I’m in Costa Rica at the moment and our local guide regularly uses his to good effect and very carefully avoids getting too close to the birds. Our U.K. based guide does not have one, presumably for the reasons mentioned in Andy’s comment.

It seems Class 2 lasers are legal to own in UK and the only illegality comes "if a person had one in the street and was using it (or intending to use it) to shine in people's eyes, at cars or aircraft etc. ". So looks like am OK as long as it is that class and I'm not carrying around on the street which I shan't be!

It's Class III you need. I don't know if Class II is much/any use in the field but I kindof doubt it.
Mine's rated at 100 mW, but I think essentially they put any number they like on the side of them.

There is no such thing as an illegal laser pointer in the UK.

The Public Health and Health & Safety authorities recommend that laser pointers don't exceed Class 2 but it is not law. If you harass people or aircraft with any laser pointer you are committing an offence regardless of power.

There is no such thing as an illegal laser pointer in the UK.
'Trading Standards Authorities may use their existing powers under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005 to remove laser products intended for consumers of Class 3B [5-500 mW = mine] and Class 4 (as defined in the British Standard) from the general market.’
. . . which - for purposes of obtaining them commercially within the UK - is not much different from them being illegal.

No idea if they are legal in the UK, but the Sanwu green laser pointer (Green Red Violet 304 Laser pointer) is inexpensive and powerful enough to be useful even in tropical sunlight. Our guide in Costa Rica used them, always taking care to keep the light below the bird, which allowed us to find the bird without getting it disturbed.
Note that you will also need to buy a rechargeable 18650 battery plus a charger, which brings the total cost into the $60 range.
The laser is shipped in a manila envelope from China, it is very robust, but delivery takes a month or so. They offer faster shipping for a price, but two weeks may be iffy.
Also note that this is a very powerful unit, The 80 milliwatt rating is notional, I think it could be considerably more, so it is not eye safe imho.
It does come with a locking cap as well as a diffuser tip for the laser pointer, useful if you have kids and want to reduce the risk of ownership.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm off to Belize in a couple of weeks and it will be far easier to get my partner onto birds using a green dot laser pointer than verbal directions, similar to what bird tour guides use. Does anyone have any experience of recommended models/brands? Thanks
I have a new American made Class 3A 5wW green pointer for sale. It use two AAA batteries. I have posted it on For Sale page

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back