• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings - Cooper's Hawks Observation/Details (2 Viewers)

OakTreeWatcher

Canada
Hello everyone! I am incredibly new here!
I've been observing a pair of Cooper's Hawks from April till now in my neighbourhood in Oakville, Ontario.

0J2A9364.JPG_1.JPG
I've seen the pair switch from three nesting locations which I think is normal but also curious. The first reason the pair had moved was that my town had been removing hazardous trees on the trail in which they had nested. I presume they were scared of the loud chainsaw noises and switched locations. It had seemed as if they raided a squirrel's nest because, at the second spot, a bunch of squirrels were seen trying to get into the nest. The second occasion to why they moved was due to a prolonged rain forecast that had lasted a week. Now I think they found a perfect spot that has some protection from rain and a high vantage point which I saw today.

0J2A9531.JPG_1.JPG

I had done some research on how these hawks would usually use the same nests that they either built or found multiple times in the area they've occupied. From moving from one place to another, I've also observed them mating multiple times so I'm also chuckling at the fact that they have had a string of bad luck trying to find a good spot so they can mate, and incubate their eggs and hopefully raise a chick or two.

I understand that nature can be cruel at times and unforeseen circumstances can really get in the way of the future of these beautiful birds. I hope to post more so I can update the situation of this couple.

Photos were taken with a Canon 7D Mk ii paired with Sigma 150-600.

0J2A9705.JPG_1.JPG

0J2A1919.JPG_1.JPG

Hi, OakTreeWatcher and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Happy they have seemed to settle on a nesting site. Will be looking forward to how they get on. You might want to share your excellent photos in our gallery for more to see (we do ask for a limit in the gallery of three per 24 hours and no nest photos). Also we have a bird of prey forum that would be a good place to share their antics.

Hi OakTreeWatcher and a warm welcome from me too. I do hope we may see some of your pictures in the Gallery.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Those photos are excellent - and the last two in particular capture the fine details of plumage and eye really well. May you have much joy observing and recording them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back