• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Finland (1 Viewer)

iporali

Hello Forum,

Seldom (...actually never) have I seen so many netizens discussing about a passionate hobby with such friendliness, politeness and sense of humour. Bird Forum was like a breath of fresh air after having just read some computing threads full of flame.

I just felt I had to jump in.

Happy birding everybody,

Ilkka
(Nikon LX/HG 10x32, Kowa 823, CP4500, JVC parabola, Sony MD-N910, TiBook400... yeah, I am tech-crazy ;) )

Hi Ilkka,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I am glad to see that you like the site. As you say we have a great bunch of people making up our membership, both knowledgeable and willing to share their experiences with the rest of us.

I see you share the same scope/camera combination as myself. I just took up digiscoping ealrier this year thanks in the main to Andy Bright's digiscoping section which is a mine of useful information. I don't know whether you have found the Gallery section yet, but every member has 12 mb of free to use webspace, so please feel free to upload a few photos. I'm sure we'd love to see some shots of the birds of Finland.

See you around.

Tervetuloa Ilkka!

Great to have another Nordic birder on BF. Hope to hear some bird news and see some pictures of the great bird life in your country. I have been the Finland three times but wasn't into birding then. What a missed opportunity!! Spent a week in May once between Mikkeli and Kuopio but didn't give the birds a second thought. I must have been crazy.

E

Tervetuloa Ilkka, :hi:

(copied Edward, I am trying to be clever!)

Glad you joined us and you are right it is a great site with great members. Seeing your techie details I can see you will have a lot to offer us as well as us to you! Enjoy!

hey Ilkka!

Mitaa Kuuluu? (hehe who's the cleverest of all?)

You were so right in your introduction words. This is the right place to be! Have a great time around here and i'll probably cya surfin around here on the site!

Erik

Hello Ilkka. Hauska Tutustuu! (spelling probably bad, but I was three years old when I left). Greetings from Canada. You are the first member I've run across who uses the 10x32s also. I have the 8x and 10x but always take the 10s. How do you like them?

Aatos

Hi Ilkka and a warm welcome to bird forum . Because of my passing interest in architecture, I have been to a couple of forums relating to this subject and have to agree with you. The pettiness and verbal diarrhea on display sometimes defies belief.

Wow - thank you guys for the welcome! I thought Finnish was difficult for non-Finnish. And yes, I really have enjoyed browsing on the forums - it has been both educating and entertaining experience (like the thread about Nikon SE 8x32 & little fingers... LOL!).

Edward, you probably did not miss too many "exotic species" on your visit to Mikkeli/Kuopio. The area is beautiful ("lake district"), but the species diversity is higher here on the eastern border (Carelia). Anyway, I hope you still have a chance to visit Finland as a birding tourist - and if it happens to be in North Carelia, don't hesitate to e-mail me, I'd be happy to offer accommodation etc.

Hi Andrew and Erik, kiitos hyvää kuuluu :) !

Aatos, nice to meet you too - do you mean you are originally Finnish? About those bins, I chose them because I am planning to have 8x32s for my wife one day ;) . If I should have taken only one pair, it probably would have been 8x32s because I almost always have a scope (and a wife) with me. Nikon HGs (smaller objective) are in my hands and eyes the very best binoculars I have used (Swaro EL's included).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back