• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey wagtail, with red chest? Allier France -- no photo (1 Viewer)

Frank van Drogen

Not so important
Switzerland
Hey all,

The other day I was observing a number of Grey Wagtails at the edge of a pond, taking a bunch of photos. I then went to our other pond, but left the camera behind. There was another Grey Wagtail but when looking through my bins I realized this one had an obvious red chest.

Behavior was exactly the same as for the other ones. I tried to check for subspecies, but came up empty handed. (Also, went to quickly grab my camera, but it flew of before I was back).

Does anyone have some insight?

There is a condition where red pigments are replaced with yellow (xanthochromism), but not sure if it can (commonly/rarely) happen the other way around, as it would require an extra chemistry/enzyme change, as opposed to loss of one ... ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back