• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (9 Viewers)

Tuesday evening cold very overcast hurrindines over camp lane pits including at least 4 house martins new for the year.

A gloomy evening ,wagon wheel common sandpiper,and another along the river. Camp lane pits a solitary dunlin was spooked by a sparrowhawk fly through, but soon returned to the west shore of the hippo pool.

Sunday morning ,I was expecting good weather like the previous day but no ,same as Thursday.Holt/sling redshanks ,LRP, calling curlew from second flash, nesting swans and coots .Shovellers still and less teal the same on Cl pits, which also had LRP, redshank and aruffnew for the year .Unfortunatly due to the lapwing and redshank mobbing it every time it landed it left south after 15 minutes. Later ,on wagon wheel river flash I saw it again and again flying back toward CL pits at about 11:30.

Tuesday evening windy from the south ,camp lane pits held redshank,LRP ,2 common sandpiper and a curlew . The first chick of the year goes to a little grebe on the north east pool.
The first consecutive visit where I haven’t seen redwing or field fare and with the promise of an a warmer week ahead perhaps the last we will see of them this spring.

Thursday evening 22c cloudless sky ,i’ve Gone from full winter to summer plumage in a single visit. At arriving at sling pool a lesser whitethroat heard from the car and later seen in the track hedgerow. 2 LRP ,2 redshank ,lapwings ,3 pair of shoveler .
Camp lane pits 2 common tern, new for the year brings my yearly total to 98. Redshank very vocal ,2 LRP ,common sand. Clouds of flying insects but in the time I was there didn’t see a single hurrindine . A walk up the river ,2 common sand and a kingfisher.

Sunday morning ,only a quick walk around CL pits the single little grebe chick doing well and a great crested grebe also nesting nearby along with coot and moorhen all easily seen with the lack of reed growth. The only changes was an increase in common tern to 4 and the arrival of singing reed warbler west edge.

A breezy and cool 2.5 hours around the Workings yesterday - water levels high with the only decent edge being on the Hippo pool where ironically all the breeding waders were bar a Redshank that flew out of the cereal field. Lapwing and Oystercatcher on the nest with Common Sand and LRP feeding. 4 Common Terns over the reserve with another pair up on the pool beyond the Wagon Wheel pits. The reedbed that links the two held several Reed Warblers in song. The path has been cut back and it provides an excellent route between pools, the usual signage about no access abound but whatever.

Quiet considering the time of year, a low feeding party of mixed Sand and House Martins and a handful of Swifts were noted.....

A few pics from ystda including the pretentious name that has now been given to the edifice that resembles a Swiss end-of-life facility, pretentious or what! The prat has also put up notices about not turning blah blah. I cannot wait to make his acquaintance but all in good time. Also noted was somebody with a camera and bag but no binoculars - i didn't even acknowledge, i'm fed up with people asking for info and not contributing it's a growing feature with Internet info etc :-(

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1802 Apr. 27 08.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1802 Apr. 27 08.13.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 60
  • ScreenHunter_1803 Apr. 27 08.17.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1803 Apr. 27 08.17.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 58
  • ScreenHunter_1804 Apr. 27 08.17.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1804 Apr. 27 08.17.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 38
  • ScreenHunter_1805 Apr. 27 08.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1805 Apr. 27 08.20.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 56
Wood Sandpiper on Hippo Pool this afternoon with 6 Yellow Wagtail, and a Ringed Plover on west shore of main pit. Spotted Redshank & Whimbrel seen earlier by MB but no sign from 3pm.

Sunday morning 7c dull overcast CL Pits to start with quiet with only a summer plumage dunlin ,but on walking down east side ,first a wheatear(Male) and then,7:30am a hobby ,harassed by black headed gulls, through north. South end good numbers of swallow, house and sand martins but no swift as yet. Coming back up the west side 3 sedge warbler and a reed warbler . Back along the north causeway an Egyptian goose was resting but took flight and headed east , the first time I’ve seen this species at grimley. Reminds you of a bird made up of spare parts. 5 yellow wagtails probably more were around the north end.
Common whitethroat was singing in rough brambles . 4 species new for the year total 105.

A few swifts were around just before 12 with the hundreds of hirundines. The Dunlin was still present along with the usuals. Swift was 111th for me for the year

Tuesday evening a strong cold south west wind church farm pools had a mallard family with 7 chicks the first ducklings I’ve seen at grimley this year. Another family of 5 were at the south end CLP. 3 swifts were over the north end and several were seen later by the river . Unfortunately when I arrived at the north end the owner of the hippo was spreading grass seeds over the island and banks of the pool ,with his dogs sort of in tow so not much about. However on walking up the river a cuckoo was calling from the trees by Grimley Church for about 10minutes. This is the second one I’ve had this year ,the first at Larford 4miles up river.

Thursday evening overcast ,dry and quite warm sling/holt redshank,common sandpiper - water levels are still very high . Church farm pools redshank LRP and common sandpiper . CL pits were the same as usual until 7:15 when a bird coming from the south uttered an unfamiliar but loud ‘ chew it’ call spotted redshank . It landed several times on the hippo pool but the resident lapwings chased it off each time and after about 5 minutes it headed north. A new bird for me and what a cracker. I went back over church farm pools and then wagon wheel but no further sign .
This is the second time the lapwings have not tolerated a new visitor as the ruff from 2 weeks ago received the same treatment. Oddly they seem to tolerate the redshank ducks and even the coot the latter would definately cause damage to a nest or chicks.
Duck numbers are down now with about 20 of each tufted ,mallard and gadwall, and 2 pairs of each shovellor and teal. A cuckoo was heard distantly south weir/lock area and 5 hares seen.

Will be able to come to the spring all dayer but only after 5:30 pm . I’ll put a list of what I see on the forum but I don’t expect to add to the day list . Good luck to all involved and have a good day.

That's a great record - nice one! I believe a possible was reported from Ripple earlier in the day............

Last edited:
Saturday night in a couple of hours 41 species all usual with mistle thrush the best ,not a single hurrindine seen ,and shovellor and teal absent. A heron was seen wading up to its wings —- a bit unusual but it was successful and caught a large roach.

Saturday night in a couple of hours 41 species all usual with mistle thrush the best ,not a single hurrindine seen ,and shovellor and teal absent. A heron was seen wading up to its wings —- a bit unusual but it was successful and caught a large roach.

Good to meet you this morning, Jim. I've sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back