• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (4 Viewers)

As from the above post I have said ,the total that in my previous post was 149 ,'that I know too'. I rarely see birders at Grimley, the 149 total is what I've gleaned off the internet so in fact it's quite close to the actual one .
Just means I missed more than I thought. Happy new year.

The start of a new year part 1 Sling and Holt 41 species ,the best, Egyptian goose 8:30am flew towards CLP 10 mins later, male Pintail, Song and Mistle Thrush singing, 2 Sparrowhawk displaying over wood with a Raven watching on. On the flash heard for 15 mins before I found it Golden Plover 1, very difficult to see even on a green background.

Attachments

• P1020556.JPG
    P1020556.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1020553.JPG
    P1020553.JPG
    393.1 KB · Views: 57
New years day part 2 C.L.P , 11:30am ,female Goldeneye North end , Shovellor , Pochard, Teal , Gadwall, Tufted, Wigeon and Mallard all present. 3 Green woodpeckers South end and 3 Stonechats East shore.
Back at the North end 1:45am approx. , with a group of Canada Geese what I took to be a Pink-Footed Goose. On site description small compared to Canada, dark head and neck lighter back ,beak small with pink marking. I have never seen a Pink-Footed Goose or a Bean Goose so either would be new for me .
I've said this for on returning and looking at the Worcester Birding site have found that it was the latter species that I had seen . Even better as I think this species is rarer. The photographs I took aren't good 'as usual' and the bird left North with Canada's after 5 mins.

Attachments

• P1020557.JPG
    P1020557.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 152
  • P1020558.JPG
    P1020558.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 93
  • P1020559.JPG
    P1020559.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 110
This one IS a Pink- footed Goose! It would appear then that both this and Taiga Bean were seen yesterday!

Given Jim's bird seems to match the timing of Ed's bird (present for 10 minutes at CPL before flying north with a small group of Canadas) I cant help think they are one and the same - if which case, a Pink-footed??

From 3rd Friday a kingfisher and great-spotted woodpecker along the river and M and F Goosander and 2 Herring Gull Wagon Wheel all new for the year. 4 pairs of Stonechat over Grimley and Holt.
Sunday morning 7Red-Legged Partridge Church Farm and F. Goldeneye CLP’s the best.

From Sunday morning , very foggy with good visibility only at 20 yards. 35 species seen with Skylark, Nuthatch and coal tit being new for the year .

Sunday morning ,the weather started ok but by 11:00am had become stormy. Down at the south end by the river Green Sandpiper which flew off high South and lost to view , however 15mins later passing the gravel beach another one ,which took off and landed on the opposite bank. Woodcock Grimley brook and Marsh tit bird feeder.
Approx. 20 Skylark and a stonechat Church Farm.
Camp lane 2 pairs of Goldeneye and aShelduck were amongst the waves and stonechat causeway.
58 species seen.

January like last year has been warm 8-12c withy very few frosted days although unlike last year it has been wet with the river Severn flooding several times . 73 species seen same as last year which surprised me as visits have been on poor viewing days . Pink footed Goose and Golden Plover highlights with Goldeneye present for most of the month. Woodcock and Marsh Tit were nice to get early in the year as both can be difficult.
Sunday morning Sling /Holt Bullfinch just passed the castle was new but could only see ! bird which was unusual. At 9:50 8 Barnacle Geese dropped in between the main pool and the flash but without disturbing the birds the ensuing photo was not good .
Camp Lane was quiet with the usual birds but there was a nice pair of goosander on the river. 6 Linnit were on church Farm meadows new for me , with Skylark ,Pied Wags , Fieldfare and Redwing .
62 species seen. Hopefully some evening visits will start soon as the daylight lengthens.

Attachments

• P1020569.JPG
    P1020569.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 83
After 2 consecutive weekends of storms and the river reaching the highest levels I,ve seen in 40 years the weather again was stormy . Saying that an enjoyable walk around Holt and Grimley . I could not find the Red-Crested Pochard seen Saturday but plenty of Shovellor and Tufted duck at CLP and 4 pairs of Stonechat, 1 at Holt.
Highlight had to be a Heron carrying nesting material ,Spring is on its way.

February finished on 61 species more like a day total than a month total but viewing conditions havent been great and March has started much the same with the Severn still in flood and apparently record levels although historically not .
Sunday morning , a bit of an oddity an albino starling flew over in a flock of 150. I proceeded to go down behind the village to see where the river level was and was rewarded by a pair of pintail, numerous wigeon and heard first before seen a female Brambling which was over head in the trees but lost to view and returned twice without seeing it again . Might be feeding on bird table close by as there were quite a few species of small birds also present .
Kingfisher Camp Lane as well as a showy heron , green woodpeckers south end .
Holt /Sling 5 Siskin with goldfinches and long- tailed tits larches

Attachments

• P1020572.JPG
    P1020572.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 48
First visit to Camp Lane pools....plenty to see....7.30am to 9.30am
Mute Swans. Grey Heron
Greylag Geese. Pheasant
Canada Geese. Merlin
Teal. Kestrel
Mallard. Moorhen
Shoveler. Coot
Pochard. Snipe
Tufted Duck. Lapwing
Goldeneye Female. Common Gull
Little Grebe. LBB Gull
Gt C Grebe. Skylark
Cormorant. Meadow Pit
Song Thrush. LT Tit
Blue Tit. Reed Bunting

Well worth the visit......Ian

Sunday morning , river back where it should be .Walking down towards the village M and F Blackcap and on arriving CL pits " Redshank and M and F Goldeneye . Shelduck over as i walked up the river . LOts of gulls at the end of W .Wheel lane with Black -Headed, Herring, LBB, 1st W GBB and 3 Common gulls .
Along the lane my first Grey Wagtail. 64 species seen , that's more like it .

Attachments

• P1020587.JPG
    P1020587.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1020586.JPG
    P1020586.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 37
  • P1020579.JPG
    P1020579.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 35
Sunday morning , with rain forecast for all morning decided to leave scope in car ,5 mins later running back to get it as there was a Red Crested Pochard drake on N.pit Church Farm 7.00AM. A new bird for me at any location . More was to follow at the South end of CLP with 4 Sand Martins ,a singing chiffchaff, and a Water Rail the later seen crossing the southern causeway, Oddly i have not hear any at all this year usually they are quite vocal and you can normally hear them every visit.
North end CLP 2 redshanks ,2 Oystercatchers and several snipe along with the usual fair .
A quick visit to Sling /Holt and a Great White Egret landed on the flash at 1.00pm but proceeded on towards Grimley after only a few minutes.

Attachments

• P1020598.JPG
    P1020598.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020605.JPG
    P1020605.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 32
  • P1020607.JPG
    P1020607.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back