• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Growing concerns over US oil leak (BBC News) (3 Viewers)

who can we find to take the blame? so we don't have to pay for it.
would you have been waiting this long for somethig to be done in a north sea rig accident? we have quite a lot of them off our coast and they tend not to blow up. partially because our legislation requires platforms to have suitable safety procedures in place.
but when they do blow up, all concerned parties deal with it including local/ national governments, then they look at what wen't wrong and how to stop it happening again.

then if the lawyers are required they are used.

fisrt point of call for anything american appears to be find who is to blame then set the lawyers on them,
then think about how you can start to solve the problem.

why is the film armageddon so unbelievable?
because the comet would have plowed through the planet before your lawyers had found anyone to sue, never mind actually gotten started to doing something useful about averting the disaster.

isn't it even better that the one you found to blame is jonny foriegner.

Last edited:
first point of call for anything american appears to be find who is to blame then set the lawyers on them,

Not sure what your getting at Captaincarot.
Are you suggesting that US citizens are happy this oil spill (possibly the worst in our history) is at the hands of a British company? Trust me - we are not.
As far as sicking the lawyers on all party's involved (including the US government agencys) I say - hell yeah.!! Lets go as far as we can on that front. The sad thing is - this could have been prevented. Corrupt companies and pathetic oversight.!

As far as sicking the lawyers on all party's involved (including the US government agencys) I say - hell yeah.!! Lets go as far as we can on that front. The sad thing is - this could have been prevented. Corrupt companies and pathetic oversight.!

Agree 100%. I’m just sorry that whatever damages the companies end up being assessed, the individuals responsible—CEOs & other high executives—are likely to escape scot-free as usual.

who can we find to take the blame? so we don't have to pay for it.
would you have been waiting this long for somethig to be done in a north sea rig accident? we have quite a lot of them off our coast and they tend not to blow up. partially because our legislation requires platforms to have suitable safety procedures in place.
but when they do blow up, all concerned parties deal with it including local/ national governments, then they look at what wen't wrong and how to stop it happening again.

then if the lawyers are required they are used.

fisrt point of call for anything american appears to be find who is to blame then set the lawyers on them,

why is the film armageddon so unbelievable?
because the comet would have plowed through the planet before your lawyers had found anyone to sue, never mind actually gotten started to doing something useful about averting the disaster.

- You obviously haven't been paying attention. Nice insulting comments btw.

haven't been paying attention, not only have i paid attention but i have read the comments made by americans on the bbc site.
more or less rejoicing in the fact that it's a foriegn company so americans won't have to pay.go read them you might be enlightened.
what they don't seem to get is it's a foriegn company working to your laws and your safety standards, made so lax by your politicians, people voted in by you.
the fact that it is a british company who had the accident is incidental to the fact that the regulations and safety standards that they work to in your area of the world allowed it to happen in the first place and will allow it to happen again, bp are such a bad company for not implementing safety devices which would have stopped it happening, they are the great foriegn evil, not one american has mentioned the fact that the american oil companies don't deploy these devices in the same situation because they don't have to.

and if americans weren't currently spending so much time and effort on working out who gets the blame and to pay for it. the leak would have been sealed by now, by your government under a massive heap of concrete put there by your navy.
yet the gulf fills with oil while people finger point and try to save the well.

haven't been paying attention, not only have i paid attention but i have read the comments made by americans on the bbc site.
more or less rejoicing in the fact that it's a foriegn company so americans won't have to pay.go read them you might be enlightened.
what they don't seem to get is it's a foriegn company working to your laws and your safety standards, made so lax by your politicians, people voted in by you.
the fact that it is a british company who had the accident is incidental to the fact that the regulations and safety standards that they work to in your area of the world allowed it to happen in the first place and will allow it to happen again, bp are such a bad company for not implementing safety devices which would have stopped it happening, they are the great foriegn evil, not one american has mentioned the fact that the american oil companies don't deploy these devices in the same situation because they don't have to.

and if americans weren't currently spending so much time and effort on working out who gets the blame and to pay for it. the leak would have been sealed by now, by your government under a massive heap of concrete put there by your navy.
yet the gulf fills with oil while people finger point and try to save the well.

If you had bothered to read this whole thread then you will find my response to all the comments you just made - you can do the leg work buddy.

"What has been sickening in this episode is the BP CEO's response and UK aristocratic behavior."

"I don't think anyone in Congress is stupid enough to risk any chance they still have for a political career by sticking 10 billion dollars in cleanup costs to the American taxpayer instead of putting on the shoulders of a foreign oil company"

there's a couple of them yet it seems many have been moderated to oblivion, the ones which really drove me to write that in the first place were far less restrained in their tone

Last edited:
Nope , haven't nor do I intend to. Let me guess though... a lot of idiocy? You paint with a pretty big brush captaincarot , do you assume that those comments represent my opinions ?

no the you in my earlier post applies to america at large not you as a single american person so sorry if you took it that way.

And with that said, let's remember that this is a worldwide forum and we would appreciate you all remembering that.

no the you in my earlier post applies to america at large not you as a single american person so sorry if you took it that way.

So, some idiotic commentary on a BBC web article equates the the overwhelming sentiment of the American public ?! In any case outrage against BP is not misplaced , they have a deplorable safety record. I have in earlier posts placed links that give factual evidence to this point. Personally I don't give a damn if this is a British company, I would be equally outraged if this was an American company.

The arrogance of mankind, still talking about getting things under controll... It would be wiser to admit that our knowhow is to controll shit, and really not too far beyond that.

But who still wants to be a peasant these days...

Everyone needs to make sacrafices to reduce our demand for oil... simple. I have downsized my car to a small 4 cylinder, live in a very modest home, keep my house hotter in the Summer and cooler in the Winter, ride my bike whenever possible, try to buy locally produced foods and I sold my fishing boat for a kayak. What are you guys doing to help drive down demand for oil?

Russ

In any case outrage against BP is not misplaced , they have a deplorable safety record. I have in earlier posts placed links that give factual evidence to this point. Personally I don't give a damn if this is a British company, I would be equally outraged if this was an American company.

Outrage should be directed at the oil company, regardless of the nationality. It still remains fact however that offshore oil exploration has been permitted without effective procedures to prevent/deal with an accident that almost certainly would happen sooner or later. That is not down to the oil company, that is down to successive US authorities. Blame lies at both doors.

Apparently the safety valve had been faulty for a while. Why fix it, why would it cause a problem...

The US taxpayer will have to chip in of course, but after that BP and the oil rig owner need to be fined, preferably massively (something that usually does not happen... they get away with relatively small fees). Regardless of the damage to nature, many people are still dependent on clean seas for a living, and they will need support.

I work for a (British-owned) chemical company with an "improving" safety record. What I see happening in the Gulf is familiar.

It is obvious that government pressure (e.g. by publishing health & safety figures and demanding a certain amount of accident figures from a company) is much more effective than the internal policies of many companies: they will really only do the minimal, and preferably less if they can get away with it.

Finally, the EU (and US) should also demand "environmental import duties" when a company decides to produce in countries with less strict laws.

People totally miss the point here, still considering their capital flow. Sheer hypocrisy to sell 'just' their BP shares: They should sell their second car! And prohibit legal joyriding. Or legal joyflying (ready to 'sacrifice' some luxurious 'green' holiday's?)
Crazy thing still to think about money now a complete ecological system faces termination.

Greed for oillurking habits has been the true villan here. Hammer the head off of that!

Sheer hypocrisy to sell 'just' their BP shares: They should sell their second car!

It is not hypocrisy of these investors to sell their BP shares rather than cars - those selling are not claiming to be doing it due to environmental guilt concerns, but more they see this costing the company ever-increasing sums of money, ie totally obliterating an entire year of profit or more. Thus, they don't claim anything, hence no hypocrisy.

Participating in a boycott of BP petrol stations, whilst happily filling up at the Shell or Texico next door, is however rather closer to hypocrisy. As is saying we should prohibit legal joyriding and joyflying when at the same time taking foriegn holidays to Oman, etc, to watch birds.

That said Josh, this kind of stuff is exactly the thing, that makes me aware of the fact that my 'green seat compensation' is not good enough for compensating the environment and indeed these trips are not to save the planet. And yes, my bike (no, no I drive no car, partly for this mentioned reason) needs oil as well. Don't you forget my 16 ceramic ballbearings: those are in a thursty need of one drop speedcream a year each!
(you got me on my ever sensitive conscience). But you are right, I am stained as well.
That all said, I admire the difference between sipping and guzzling...

....which leads us to your first refutation, and I am not going to give in: my accusation still holds since shareholders considering the capital flow under this situation only reflect 'an abandonning ship'-attitude for the sake of saving their sole interest and that's only money . I know it is all about the money, but at the brink of life and death it shows lack of the least grain of sympathy:

but what their beautiful money can't buy is exactly what we see in this dreadful example.
Mercenaries are persecuted, you know, but in cases like these its called business

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back