• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guatemala birds - March 2020 -1 (1 Viewer)

Stéphane 77

Hi everyone,
I just came back from a trip in Guatemala and have a few birds I can not identify on some (rather poor quality) pictures. Could you help ?
If you point the picture thumbnail with the mouse arrow, you'll see the location of the bird in the file name. If I have some idea of the species, it is also in the name of the picture.
This is the first post, I'll have a few... This first one is for hummingbirds.
Thanks in advance.
Stéphane

Attachments

• Atitlan - colibri AD 2.jpg
    Atitlan - colibri AD 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Antigua - colibri AD 4.jpg
    Antigua - colibri AD 4.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Flores - colibri AD 8.jpg
    Flores - colibri AD 8.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Guatemala - Ruby-throated Hummingbird AD 5.jpg
    Guatemala - Ruby-throated Hummingbird AD 5.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 17
  • Antigua - colibri AD 3.jpg
    Antigua - colibri AD 3.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 16
Hi everyone,
I just came back from a trip in Guatemala and have a few birds I can not identify on some (rather poor quality) pictures. Could you help ?
If you point the picture thumbnail with the mouse arrow, you'll see the location of the bird in the file name. If I have some idea of the species, it is also in the name of the picture.
This is the first post, I'll have a few... This first one is for hummingbirds.
Thanks in advance.
Stéphane

Agree 4) is likely female ruby-throated

Really not sure about the rest. I think 1,2,5 are the same thing, and, although I don't think it's a good fit, the best I can come up with is azure-crowned hummingbird. This based on obviously white throat, vent, and pinkish bill base.

For 3), again a poor fit but the best I can get is amythyst-throated hummingbird/mountain-gem. The bill in the photo looks completely wrong (more like a mango), but there's some evidence of purple feathers in the throat area. Ebird photos show that this species can show white tail tips as here.

Agree 4) is likely female ruby-throated

Really not sure about the rest. I think 1,2,5 are the same thing, and, although I don't think it's a good fit, the best I can come up with is azure-crowned hummingbird. This based on obviously white throat, vent, and pinkish bill base.

For 3), again a poor fit but the best I can get is amythyst-throated hummingbird/mountain-gem. The bill in the photo looks completely wrong (more like a mango), but there's some evidence of purple feathers in the throat area. Ebird photos show that this species can show white tail tips as here.

Looking at ebird photos of azure-crowned hummingbirds, I completely agree with you for 1, 2 and 5.

For 3 : I was just wondering if the bird could be a juvenile (it still has some white down on its back ?) female canivet's emerald. I could find 1 or 2 quite similar birds among ebird pictures, though mine has a thicker bill, a juvenile's ?

Looking at ebird photos of azure-crowned hummingbirds, I completely agree with you for 1, 2 and 5.

For 3 : I was just wondering if the bird could be a juvenile (it still has some white down on its back ?) female canivet's emerald. I could find 1 or 2 quite similar birds among ebird pictures, though mine has a thicker bill, a juvenile's ?

Yes it's juvenile, but that shouldn't affect its beak.

I can't decide about the species. If the purplish feathers in the throat area are real, suggests the mountain-gem. This ought to have the more robust bill too, although the beak in the picture doesn't really fit either species. Likewise, if we could tell for sure that the tail is longer than the wings that would indicate the emerald. Female Canivet's emeralds have white which tends to extend above the eye, usually to about the middle. I don't see that here but white is less extensive on juveniles.

Yes it's juvenile, but that shouldn't affect its beak.

I can't decide about the species. If the purplish feathers in the throat area are real, suggests the mountain-gem. This ought to have the more robust bill too, although the beak in the picture doesn't really fit either species. Likewise, if we could tell for sure that the tail is longer than the wings that would indicate the emerald. Female Canivet's emeralds have white which tends to extend above the eye, usually to about the middle. I don't see that here but white is less extensive on juveniles.

It looks like the right wing is just as long as the tail. Is that of any help ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back