• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess what I saw! (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

A merlin!

I've had to look in my bird book to be sure but I'm now pretty sure it was a female merlin. I went around the corner in my on the way back from one of the glens and this bird jumped up out of the grass verge at the side of the road flying away from the car (she was carrying a small bird, possibly a sparrow as there were loads of them around the road). It's the first time I've seen a merlin :-O She was very pretty :gh:

I'll have to head back up there to see if I see her again!

That is so cool! Merlins are fantastic little falcons. I don't get to see them that often, being down south, but they always make a red letter day.

Hi Silvershark,

If it was a small Falcon it's pretty sure to be a Merlin up in your area. My lifer was in Scotland.

As for sex, as I'm sure you know from your book, Blue-grey for a male, brown for a female.

Well done, any raptor is a good addition to the List.

Bill

Not on my list yet as I've never been certain that what I'd seen was a merlin despite them being around. Only very quick glimpses and not enough to ID them.
Nice one.

Hi Kat

Love to see a Merlin anyday.

You are very lucky to have seen one! :t:

Let us know if you manange to see it in the same area - it is worth another look once more as it might be it's territory.

Keep us informed! :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Not on my list yet as I've never been certain that what I'd seen was a merlin despite them being around. Only very quick glimpses and not enough to ID them.
Nice one.

I was fortunate that this one flew right next to the car so I could get a good look otherwise I'd have been left wondering whether it was or wasn't!

Peewit - I'll certainly be keeping an eye out in the future!

I can remember being on a bird walk, some time ago, when I was a fledgling birder, with our local RSPB group & I spotted a bird flying, didn't know what it was & said to our leader who happened to be standing beside me, 'What's that one?', he told me, Merlin, then said, but you didn't really see it. Apparently they were nesting in the area & it was a secret, in case the nest/eggs were vandalised.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back