• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull attacking guillemot (1 Viewer)

Redmist

Supporter
Norway
I just watched a single GBBG dive onto the water for what I assumed was a fish, but turned out to be a guillemot which was none too pleased. I didn't see the end of the fight but it looked like it was going to be a sad end for the guillemot. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. Is this normal behaviour for GBBGs? It is not something I have seen before and I can find plenty of reference to them feeding on eggs, or chicks but not much reference to adult birds.

Yellow legged gulls here attack other birds perceived as “alien” such as razorbills or little gulls.

I just watched a single GBBG dive onto the water for what I assumed was a fish, but turned out to be a guillemot which was none too pleased. I didn't see the end of the fight but it looked like it was going to be a sad end for the guillemot. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. Is this normal behaviour for GBBGs? It is not something I have seen before and I can find plenty of reference to them feeding on eggs, or chicks but not much reference to adult birds.
I've seen video footage of Great Black-backed Gulls catching and swallowing Puffins. Pretty gruesome

GBBGs apparently pretty brutal. Some go for adult Rabbits. Remember a story of birdwatchers watching a Kingfisher perched on a bramble thicket only for a GBBG to suddenly drop down and despatch it (sounds improbable - anyone recall a source?!) Any slightly vulnerable bird on the sea sounds fair game.

Yellow legged gulls here attack other birds perceived as “alien” such as razorbills or little gulls.

Yellow Legged Gulls seem more predatory than similar species such as Herring and Lesser Black Backed. There was the footage of them chasing the released white doves and lots of stories of their predation on rats during the Covid-19 lockdown period.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back