• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID help (England) (1 Viewer)

BigMoney

United Nations
5D2443C2-1750-4135-B13E-32C952E2099B.jpeg

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help ID the bird on the right. I’m wondering if it could be a 1st winter caspian gull?
This was near Cambridge

Last edited:
Hello,
Belated:welcome to birdforum!

Do you have more pictures? They could well turn this into an 1 cycle Caspian Gull, that can be identified with confidence:
the pattern on scapulars and back might be judged on them, here the pattern is somewhat mushed by resolution and jpeg-artifacts. Please note, that this isn't meant as an offence, just a reason why I struggle to use this a a feature.

But your bird looks like pictures from 1winter Caspian Gulls from me. especially the pure, clean white head underparts with the same purity and white hue like the adult in the back adds to this impression.
I often have the Impression, that even the whitest, less marked juvenile/ immature Herring gulls have different, more dirty white head and underparts, different from pure white adults.

Not many juvenile/first winter Caspian Gulls, that doesn't stand out among adult Gulls
(Same with 1st cycle ,heinei type' Common Gulls, but that's another topic)

Please note, that with only this picture, I can't Identify your bird with confidence.
I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!

Hello,
Belated:welcome to birdforum!

Do you have more pictures? They could well turn this into an 1 cycle Caspian Gull, that can be identified with confidence:
the pattern on scapulars and back might be judged on them, here the pattern is somewhat mushed by resolution and jpeg-artifacts. Please note, that this isn't meant as an offence, just a reason why I struggle to use this a a feature.

But your bird looks like pictures from 1winter Caspian Gulls from me. especially the pure, clean white head underparts with the same purity and white hue like the adult in the back adds to this impression.
I often have the Impression, that even the whitest, less marked juvenile/ immature Herring gulls have different, more dirty white head and underparts, different from pure white adults.

Not many juvenile/first winter Caspian Gulls, that doesn't stand out among adult Gulls
(Same with 1st cycle ,heinei type' Common Gulls, but that's another topic)

Please note, that with only this picture, I can't Identify your bird with confidence.
I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!
Hi Alex, thank you for your detailed response. Unfortunately all photos were from a distance and the same angles of the bird. I will keep what you have said in mind and use it as a guide next time I’m out to help with future IDs. Thanks!

Hello again,
Is it possible to see the pictures?
Even in a fast picture series, the image stabilisation varies in effiency. Coupled with other factors, you might well have a picture with more details. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back