• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull (white-winged) ID - Cottenham, Cambs., UK (4 Viewers)

martin.m

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I spotted this white-winged gull in Cottenham yesterday and wonder which it would be. No previous experience with either, would be inclined towards Glaucous rather than Iceland, had it not been very similar in size to the LBB Gulls sitting around it. Any help appreciated.

Sorry for low quality photo, but taken on a sort of "safari" birdwatch from a car with a sleeping toddler in the back seat, so couldn't even roll the car window down...

Thanks!

Attachments

• mDSCF5249.jpg
    mDSCF5249.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 266
I take this to be the bird which has been reported for some weeks in this area and is accepted to be a glaucous gull (which is what it looks like to me in this view). From memory, it's been aged as 3rd-year.
A good self-find! 🏅
Great, thanks! I saw it reported on BirdTrack from a few spots around Cottenham earlier (including Long Drove where this is from), but wasn't sure there weren't any Iceland around as well. Don't own a spotting scope (not much use in a running car anyway) so don't usually bother checking the large gull gatherings around there with my binoculars, but this was just a small group so easy to spot even through my bins or on my camera. Chuffed with an unexpected lifer given my lack of patience with gulls :)

I take this to be the bird which has been reported for some weeks in this area and is accepted to be a glaucous gull (which is what it looks like to me in this view). From memory, it's been aged as 3rd-year.
A good self-find! 🏅

"One has been reported" is never the best way to start an identification. A quick internet search reveals 2cy Glaucous and 3cy Iceland both present around here this year, and both of these had strongly bicoloured bills with pink bases, so clearly not the bird in question here.

Am only looking on a phone so difficult to see much detail. Does this bird definitely have "white wings"?

"One has been reported" is never the best way to start an identification. A quick internet search reveals 2cy Glaucous and 3cy Iceland both present around here this year, and both of these had strongly bicoloured bills with pink bases, so clearly not the bird in question here.

Am only looking on a phone so difficult to see much detail. Does this bird definitely have "white wings"?
I agree - I’m struggling to make out any primaries here

The primaries are largely hidden behind the lesser black-backed gull to the left of the bird in question, and the small part of them that could be visible fades into the background (dark field).
No subadult white-winged gull has this much black on its bill.
Herring gull for me.

The primaries are largely hidden behind the lesser black-backed gull to the left of the bird in question
That's nowt but pure Cambs fen muck (smudged over by bluish photo-artefact) visible between the rear-end of the bird at issue and the gull to left of it. There is nothing of our bird's rear extending behind anything.

That's nowt but pure Cambs fen muck (smudged over by bluish photo-artefact) visible between the rear-end of the bird at issue and the gull to left of it. There is nothing of our bird's rear extending behind anything.
I agree with Smiths, the primaries are there and almost invisible to the background - if you zoom in, it's pretty similar to the bird to the right that also partly fades into the background

Users who are viewing this thread

Back