• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls in Central California (1 Viewer)

jocateme

Hello,

I was in California these past 2 weeks, and I'm having a really hard time identifying the gulls I've seen there. In Brazil we practically have only one sp. along our coast (Kelp), so one can imagine the trouble these gulls are causing to me haha!

Most of the ones I've seen were either Western or Heermann's, but some individuals seemed a bit strange for me.

1 - Sausalito, CA. Black spot on bill and mantle a little too pale for Western. Also, peak of the head is on the rear crown instead of above the eye, like on 2 (Sausalito), which is what I take for a typical Western. Right?
3 - Sausalito, CA. This one looks good for imm. Western, but I'd be happy if someone confirmed it.
4 & 5 - San Simeon, CA. Again, what's up with the pale mantle and the black marking on bill? They were feeding on an elephant seal carcass, by the way.

I'd appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5564.jpg
    IMG_5564.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5584.jpg
    IMG_5584.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5970.jpg
    IMG_5970.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 89
Kinda thinking herring gulls going gourmet in #5,yellow/black eyes and flesh pink legs.
Color of mark on lower mandible of bill says different.

1 Glaucous-winged
2. Western Gulls
3. Two 4th cycle "Olympic" Gulls (= Western x Glaucous-winged), plus rightmost looks like a Glaucous-winged and the foreground bird is probably a first cycle Glaucous-winged (or maybe an Olympic Gull)
4. Glaucous-winged Gull
5. Two adult Western Gulls, one Glacous-winged Gull (2nd cycle)
Gulls with some black on the bills is a sign of immaturity.

Andy

Thanks a lot, guys, especially Andy! Man, hybrids certainly don't make this any easier!

I'd appreciate help with these guys below too, if possible. 5 more photos and my best guess for their IDs (all in Sausalito, except for 5, in Santa Barbara)

1 - Glaucous-winged (Olympic?)
2 - 2nd cycle Western
3 - 1st cycle and adult Western
4 - Glaucous-winged (Olympic?)
5 - California?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Forgot to attach photo no. 5!

Attachments

• gulls05.jpg
    gulls05.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 57
  • gulls06.jpg
    gulls06.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 102
  • gulls08.jpg
    gulls08.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 52
  • gulls09.jpg
    gulls09.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hmm, indeed, it does! The only Ring-billeds I've seen were in Hermosa Beach... They're not as common in CA as in the west coast, right?

Last edited:
Hmm, indeed, it does! The only Ring-billeds I've seen were in Hermosa Beach... They're not as common in CA as in the west coast, right?

Actually, they are pretty common in California. Last December at the Christmas Bird Count in Santa Barbara we had 146 of them.

-Wim

No. 2 looks like a 1st winter Ring-billed Gull.

- Wim

It's not a Ring-billed but one of the large gulls. It has f.e. short wings, relatively pale primaries (black in R-b G), dark lower mandible etc.
I don't know what it is as i have enough to do with our local Finnish gulls :)

It's not a Ring-billed but one of the large gulls. It has f.e. short wings, relatively pale primaries (black in R-b G), dark lower mandible etc.

I wonder if it could be Herring then? Anyway, immature gulls are way too problematic to me! haha

I can see why people have been a bit reluctant to opine on 2 in the second set. It certainly appears too dainty and slender-billed for a large gull, but the pale primaries are not right for Ring-billed. But all this fits for Thayer's Gull, as do the pale edges of the primaries (J-hooks) and dark eye. If you have Gulls of the Americas, compare photo 36.20 showing a 2d cycle Thayer's.

Jim

Last edited:

Good point about the non-black primaries. Thanks.

- Wim

Confirming Western gull

1 Glaucous-winged
2. Western Gulls
3. Two 4th cycle "Olympic" Gulls (= Western x Glaucous-winged), plus rightmost looks like a Glaucous-winged and the foreground bird is probably a first cycle Glaucous-winged (or maybe an Olympic Gull)
4. Glaucous-winged Gull
5. Two adult Western Gulls, one Glacous-winged Gull (2nd cycle)
Gulls with some black on the bills is a sign of immaturity.

Andy

I am not a gull expert, but I agree w/ #2 being a Western. I spend time watching these gulls on the CA coast and three things keep popping up in my viewing of Western gulls: a flat look to the head, some red around the yellow eye, and a slightly darker shade of grey. I'm not sure that any of these are definitive, but they help me to pick out this particular gull in the area I watch (north and south of Los Angeles).

PS: I am referring to: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=368747&d=1328868015

John E.

I am not a gull expert, but I agree w/ #2 being a Western. I spend time watching these gulls on the CA coast and three things keep popping up in my viewing of Western gulls: a flat look to the head, some red around the yellow eye, and a slightly darker shade of grey. I'm not sure that any of these are definitive, but they help me to pick out this particular gull in the area I watch (north and south of Los Angeles).

PS: I am referring to: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=368747&d=1328868015

John E.

Yes, everyone agrees 2 in the first set is a Western. It is 2 in the second set that has generated the discussion.

Jim

Hey guys!

I have no field experience with most American gulls, but judging from my guides (unfortunately I don't own 'Gulls of the Americas') and photos in the internet, 2nd winter Thayer's does seem to be a good alternative, although 'my' bird's primaries seem a little too dark for Thayer's, don't they?

I wonder if it could be a Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull hybrid? 2nd winter individual here looks very similar to 'mine', although overall seemingly paler, which, I assume, varies with age.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I have no field experience with most American gulls, but judging from my guides (unfortunately I don't own 'Gulls of the Americas') and photos in the internet, 2nd winter Thayer's does seem to be a good alternative, although 'my' bird's primaries seem a little too dark for Thayer's, don't they?

I wonder if it could be a Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull hybrid? 2nd winter individual here looks very similar to 'mine', although overall seemingly paler, which, I assume, varies with age.

Primaries look fine for Thayer's to me. That's a field mark for Thayer's--primaries too dark for Iceland. Not seeing any problem with Thayer's, I don't see a need to speculate about rarer hybrids. Bill also looks too slender to me for a Herring x GWG.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back