• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls - Juneau, Alaska (2 Viewers)

Deb335077

Please help with these confusing gulls,
the only one I could guess is No 3 possibly being a Black Legged Kittiwake

all taken last week in Junea, Alaska

Thanks for any help
Debbie

Attachments

• day 7 105A0463.jpg
    day 7 105A0463.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 47
  • day 7 105A0468.jpg
    day 7 105A0468.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 52
  • day 7 105A0473.jpg
    day 7 105A0473.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 49
  • day 7 105A0387.jpg
    day 7 105A0387.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 48
Hello Debbie,

nr. 3 looks like an adult Bonapartes Gull to me. I have only seen one before, but your bird is very similar to its european counterpart, the Black headed Gull.

But as always with NA (edit: and all other) birds: thanks for confirmation or correction!

Last edited:
1st looks like short-billed gull / mew gull / common gull (depending which reference, taxonomy you're using) even though its mantle is much paler than a European common gull's would be.

2 actually looks better for Thayer's Gull (or Thayer's Iceland Gull as it was relumped recently), on tiny bill and rounded head, even female Glaucous-winged would have a more substantial bill. Agree with the other IDs in Michael's post.

2 actually looks better for Thayer's Gull (or Thayer's Iceland Gull as it was relumped recently), on tiny bill and rounded head, even female Glaucous-winged would have a more substantial bill. Agree with the other IDs in Michael's post.
Perhaps but the bill has no obvious gonyeal bulge, no red (that we can see), and is greeny yellow rather than fairly bright yellow. I find the head delicate too but I know some "Iceland"gulls can look a bit like this

Perhaps but the bill has no obvious gonyeal bulge, no red (that we can see), and is greeny yellow rather than fairly bright yellow. I find the head delicate too but I know some "Iceland"gulls can look a bit like this
The bird lou salomon is referring to is the all brown first year bird with the all black bill, I believe the gull you are talking about is the short-billed gull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back