• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls, Surrey UK (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
At Holmethorpe Watercolour Lagoons today. A juvenile Caspian Gull was reported on site shortly after I left, but I'm hopeless with identifying juvs... I was wondering if by chance I managed to get the bird in one of these photos? In particular I was thnking 2nd from right on the first photo or 2nd from left on the second photo?

329114248_717379613399800_1044600405288048011_n.jpg
326701457_966419701389929_8631995949400120650_n.jpg

Afraid not this time. The birds you’ve picked out are herring gulls, the one in first pic could be a yellow-legged perhaps but I can’t see any Caspians. First winter or second calendar year are better terms than ‘juvenile’ as they have advanced a stage by the winter time and have paler backs (of use if you’re using a field guide or reference images as a resource).

Good luck if you try again!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back