• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls with black eyes from bird flu survival (2 Viewers)

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
Been reading recently about seabirds (esp Gannets) showing an all dark iris as a consequence of getting and surviving bird flu...
The attached sub-ad Herring Gull on my local beach in Mablethorpe, Lincs on Aug 11th shows such eyes.... not even any dark pupil visible, simply black.

At first i thought about possible Caspian genes being involved but it doesn't seem right for that.... apart from the iris it was a perfect Herring Gull, and i'm pretty sure such eyes can't be attributed to immaturity.

Not sure if any/many other gulls have been seen recently showing anything similar?

Regards
DeanDSCN8429.JPGDSCN8442.JPG

I had a bird here in Dundee with one black eye and one 'normal' eye, earlier in the year. The black eye was on the side I saw the bird from most (but later at home I found it had a 'normal' eye on the other side in a sequemce of photos of the bird).

Interesting stuff. Anyone know of a source for this idea? Not necessarily a full blown scientific paper - perhaps a blog, or forum comment by a virologist or lab ornithologist, or veterinarian etc? Just curious. 🤔👍🐦

Interesting stuff. Anyone know of a source for this idea? Not necessarily a full blown scientific paper - perhaps a blog, or forum comment by a virologist or lab ornithologist, or veterinarian etc? Just curious. 🤔👍🐦
I haven‘t read anything about this for gulls. But for Northern Gannets I think there have been multiple studies about it and that this could be used as a non-invasive indicator of monitoring numbers of gannets which survived avian flu

Couldn’t find the actual paper but here is a press release:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back