• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser black-backed gull? (2 Viewers)

Michał Jaro

Recently I observed an interesting seagull - it seemed darker to me than the Caspian herring gulls YL. Also, when observing the bird, I had the impression that it was noticeably darker - is it a Lesser black-backed gull? miejsce - Polska , Podhale, kilka dni temu. Additionally, it seems that the bird had very worn feathers, in addition to the red spot on its beak, there was also a dark stripe on its beak.

Attachments

• IMG_5503.JPG
    IMG_5503.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5518.JPG
    IMG_5518.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5523.JPG
    IMG_5523.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5526.JPG
    IMG_5526.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 57
Hello Michal,

despite dark mantle, its no LBBG imo. It has not enough/extensive black in the wingtip and secondaries on the underwing are too pale.

The adult YLG I saw during the last week in SW-Germany had brighter yellow legs than your bird, I see bright pinkish-yellow legs on my actual screen (with the usual caveats). And a YLG should show a more extensive black wingtip.

First gut feeling of the standing bird is Caspian Gull with an appearantly dark, slightly displaced eye and bill shape.
But is such a broad and complete black band in the white tip of p10 still within variation for a pure Caspian Gull?
And I think primary pattern is good for a Herring Gull.

So taking location into account, I would say its a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid.
But as always: ... thanks Lou and all!

It's a weird bird which I'd leave unidentified. Maybe a dark cachinnans x argentatus (would fit on primary pattern), maybe a weird cachinnans x fuscus. Alexander, yes, some Caspian Gulls do have a substantial black subterminal band on p10, maybe younger adults but possible also in full adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back