• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gyr Falcon, Lynemouth, Northumberland (1 Viewer)

vanellus

Andrew Hodson
I took a few photos from near Lynemouth flash at 11.00 am this morning of a very large Falcon. I am not techy enough to convert them to the right size for this forum. More information on Yellowbellyinexile.blogspot.co.uk

A Buzzard sized falcon with this patterning etc must be a Gyr, but I have never seen one in the flesh (feather).

My inclination is towards escaped bird from a Bird of Prey collection. A man I met suggested a tagged bird from a breeding site.

I would appreciate sage observations.

It's wearing something big on the right foot and has a transmitter on the back, so most probably a falconer's bird: Gyr or Gyr hybrid

This bird has been hanging about the coast of northeast England (Northumbs down to Teesside) for the last year or so; known to be an escape.

It's wearing something big on the right foot and has a transmitter on the back, so most probably a falconer's bird: Gyr or Gyr hybrid

The right foot is holding a clod of mud or dung. Have another shot that shows two clean feet - huge feet with long claws.

Can a pure Gyr be as "warm" in colouring as this one looks, especially in the ground photos? I'd be inclined to think this has some Saker in it (especially as I think there are more Gyr/Saker hybrids than pure Gyr captively bred in Britain).

Its a Gyr x Saker hybrid with more Saker than Gyr. I found it at St Mary's Island in early October. Some bad pics attached. It attacked Pink-footed Geese on the deck and then grabbed a Guillemot in flight which managed to wriggle off its talons. Note the colour ring and remains of the jesses.

Attachments

• GxS1.JPG
    GxS1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 142
  • GxS2.JPG
    GxS2.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back