• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halftwo's Autumn Almanac (1 Viewer)

December 2nd/3rd Tawny owl.

After the roaring winds of yesterday, lashing rain battering, in which I ventured out for a few minutes to see only a Sparrowhawk, like a blown bag, crash into the trees nearby...
On my way home from work (at halfwo a.m.) I stopped briefly in a local lane to watch a Tawny owl in an ash. Good close views.

From a few feet away, almost silently, a Woodcock, coloured like the wood, rises away on bowed wings, jinking past trunks to disappear in distance. A phantom fading.

Hi H

A Woodcock must be a lot of peoples wish list here. Lovely words to describe their life, and movements. ;)

After the roaring winds of yesterday, lashing rain battering, in which I ventured out for a few minutes to see only a Sparrowhawk, like a blown bag, crash into the trees nearby...
On my way home from work (at halfwo a.m.) I stopped briefly in a local lane to watch a Tawny owl in an ash. Good close views.

hi H

The rain did lash down big style yesterday. It was bad here too. :eek!:

To see a Sparrowhawk, what a lovely site to see, and I love the way they stay motionless in mid-air, while on the hunt for their quarry. They are superb hunters.

Your Aviator name halftwo (in the morning) seen to go together here. As for your Tawny Owl, what a sight for you to see. They are so beautiful, and they are so vocal too. Hopefully they will be there at the right moment, and you will see them hunt in the near future.

Love reading your reports, they are beautifully written. :-O

Regards
Kathy

December 10th: One Bright Day.

Well, after a week of dark, wet, soggy grey days, it was a cheering sight to see sunshine this morning.
Having been rising late to dull days in which I couldn't tell if it was dusk already - today I knew it was morning. A week in which the highlights were watching the feeders from the back door & trying to tally Blue tit numbers - fourteen on one occasion - together! A week of hoping for a break in the clouds & rain.
The food has attracted two Jays regularly to the garden, along with up to seven Magpies - each cramming crops with as much as they could to feast elsewhere. Four House sparrows now are frequent - keeping the Tree sparrow pair at bay. Wrens fight-singing for supremacy in the pergola & Chaffinches coping with the peanut feeder very well.
Anyway, today: quick foray before work: fields still part-flooded from endless rainy days. The sun from just above the hedges warming chill air, bouncing from puddles to blind me.
Stubble standing in shallow water - a flock of Jackdaws & Crows, Fieldfares, Song thrushes & Redwings - some bathing. On the telegraph pole a perched Kestrel peers down on the flock, while a Sparrowhawk flies along the lane & hedge-hops to surprise prey.
Small breeze just enough to lift a Buzzard or two into the pale shining sky, putting the Starlings up, in turn Skylarks flicker briefly & settle. A lone Pied wagtail wobbles amongst the horses' legs & three Mistle thrushes stand, heads to sun. Brief Yellowhammer call & quiet again.
Back at home & the feeders are festooned with Long-tailed tits - seven at two fat balls together - a few more wait good-naturedly their turn. Behind, surprisingly, the sky still blue.

Hi H

Love your summary of all what has been happening in the bird world in your patch. The weather has been really bad of late - too much rain as you say.

You have a lot of Blue tits. It must be the youngsters that have grown up with the same members of their family. They like to stick in their patch.

To have lots of Lots of thrushes - Fieldfares, Song thrushes & Redwings. I have never seen a Redwing yet so you are so lucky

As for the BoP's, other than the Buzzards, to have Kestrels and Sparrowhawks in one place is super to see. So envious here. Ask a question here but what are the obvious differences between Kestrals and Sparrowhawks?

The LTT's sound hungry, and to see a few of them on Fatballs what a treat for you. I have noticed that members of the Tit family always like to queue for feeders. They are so courteous to each other. Very sweet. o:)

Love your report here, and enjoyed reading your post. So refreshing, and well written. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Sounds like a good winter mornings country count. Jays are very visible this time of year, I find.....had 4 at once from my garden one day last week stocking up.

Weather's been really bad down here too so not much birding but I hope to get to the coast tomorrow.

Joanne

Well, after a week of dark, wet, soggy grey days, it was a cheering sight to see sunshine this morning.

The food has attracted two Jays regularly to the garden, along with up to seven Magpies - each cramming crops with as much as they could to feast elsewhere. Four House sparrows now are frequent - keeping the Tree sparrow pair at bay. Wrens fight-singing for supremacy in the pergola & Chaffinches coping with the peanut feeder very well.
Anyway, today: quick foray before work: fields still part-flooded from endless rainy days. The sun from just above the hedges warming chill air, bouncing from puddles to blind me.
Stubble standing in shallow water - a flock of Jackdaws & Crows, Fieldfares, Song thrushes & Redwings - some bathing. On the telegraph pole a perched Kestrel peers down on the flock, while a Sparrowhawk flies along the lane & hedge-hops to surprise prey.
Small breeze just enough to lift a Buzzard or two into the pale shining sky, putting the Starlings up, in turn Skylarks flicker briefly & settle. A lone Pied wagtail wobbles amongst the horses' legs & three Mistle thrushes stand, heads to sun. Brief Yellowhammer call & quiet again.
Back at home & the feeders are festooned with Long-tailed tits - seven at two fat balls together - a few more wait good-naturedly their turn. Behind, surprisingly, the sky still blue.

Joanne,
Did you get to the coast today - no report yet?!
Kathy,
I've PM.ed you re your question.

Quick look out in the garden today (too busy to do a walk) Raven over to the SW & four Redpolls over too. Buzzard strutting about in the field, Kestrel on his usual perch. Greater 'pecker past. Tree sparrows seem to have taken up prospecting again, (it must be the sunshine) & the Jay was back. Goldcrest calling from the Leylandii. Song thrush in the Horse chestnut.

Hi Half-Two,

I hope I’ll see a woodcock one of these days. I saw what I think was a snipe last week, but it was too far for positive id.
It’s been cold and rainy here near Roma, too. Last week we had winds that must have gusted to 40 knots. We have been spoiled by years of warm weather and don’t much care for these cold, grey, rainy days. I’ve spent most of them locked in Peregrine’s belly with our tiny electric fan heater going. We’ve got most of the leaks addressed, but the water still comes down the mast in what seems like buckets. The cockpit is beginning to fill up with wet towels. ;) (I toss them out there when they get saturated)
I have managed to get out on the days that only threaten rain. I had a great day on the 7th, but got caught in the rain at the end of the day. Had to wrap my camera and bins in a plastic grocery bag and stuff them in my backpack for the wet bike ride home. It’s worth the risk of a little rain though; I got to add long-tailed and penduline tits and reed buntings to my list in the last month. Oh and mute swans Joanne! They were swimming in the marina. Today was sunny and nice, but I couldn’t go birding because other things had to get done. I’ve got my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Sue

Edit--Just noticed your avatar changed Joanne--didn't reconize you. That was a mute you used to have, right? Or is my feeble old memory failing me?

Last edited:
Joanne,
Kathy,

Quick look out in the garden today (too busy to do a walk) Raven over to the SW & four Redpolls over too. Buzzard strutting about in the field, Kestrel on his usual perch. Greater 'pecker past. Tree sparrows seem to have taken up prospecting again, (it must be the sunshine) & the Jay was back. Goldcrest calling from the Leylandii. Song thrush in the Horse chestnut.

Hi H

Thank you for your reply :t:

Having a look in the garden shows us all that you can still see a lot. To see Goldcrests, they a really pretty birds too :-O Great selection of birds on offer for you.

The good thing about now is that you can see more as there are no leaves on the trees so that helps.

Regards
Kathy

Joanne,
Kathy,

No....change of plan, will do a write up later. Didn't get your PM.(edit: oops, misread that)

Edit--Just noticed your avatar changed Joanne--didn't reconize you.

Been thinking of changing it for awhile and got spurred on by the festive season and the instructions to brighten up the forum.

Joanne

Last edited:
December 12th : Bramblings!

After a traumatic day yesterday (I won't go into that except to say it involved doctors, hospital & a false alarm on Mrs H's health front - all fine now, ta) it was great to have a birding day in which the weather was dry & bright.

And so out to Carrington Moss: ice in puddles but no frost, sky just scraped by thin cloud, sunshine & sharp air.
First up a party of Redwings (c.40) and almost second (just pipped by calling Coal tit) a Woodcock - out lazily from beneath birch & alder, where finches flocked nervously in front of me. Each step I took shook twenty from the branches to bound away - Yellowhammers with the Chaffinches.
Out into bright stubble, punching holes in icy runnels like treading on windows. Ahead a large mixed flock: hundreds of Chaffinches, Yellowhammers, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Reed buntings; up to the trees & back to seedy earth. I edged my way sunny-side of them, closing the gap they were ever trying to widen. Sun-brightened multi-coloured flighty crowd, wing-bars & rumps sparkling in the light.
This flock I've seen a few times before - as you will know, and searched it for more exotic fare. Today I got lucky: scanning through the buntings & finches I found, first one, then three Bramblings. As if echoing my delight, a Mistle thrush began to sing from the pylon, fluty & mellow.
Then a familiar sound distantly: getting closer - there! Over 200 Pink-footed geese in a rippling line headed west. Then another skein - about 120 - followed, then two more lines, in all about 600!
Back in the birches another Brambling was calling - a loner who flew away soon after.
Skylarks & Stock doves swirled above the stubble & re-settled; Magpies strutted, Woodpigeon waddled. Three Herring gulls passed.
Then, from a thousand yards away a huge corvid flock rose & circled, so many I could hear their alarms. I scanned for the raptor - but once again it remained invisible. Along the hedge Fieldfares chack-chacked away & dozens of Yellowhammers skittered about the hawthorns. A Jay screeched a protest, a Kestrel (bulky female) glided off to perch pylon-ward.
Another field, another hedge. More Yellowhammers & Reed buntings - and a single Corn bunting (face-on like a huge Meadow pipit).
Out past a small lake - in a flooded corner - willows in water - I hear a Kingfisher & see its reflection darkly in the pool. Tufted ducks in the open, Shovelers in the edges, Coot & Moorhen. In the trees Goldcrests, Long-tailed tits & a Bullfinch - perched in sun, improbably handsome. One Siskin, tiny in comparison, flies over him, calling.
On & on into cold air, now approaching the re-settled corvids, a knot of Starlings spirals. Meadow pipits call, a sudden Raven "cronks" overhead, another Kestrel hovers. On path-side weeds a Stonechat, perched like a lollipop, good enough to eat.
Down a birch-straddled byway I hear the third flock of Long-tailed tits of the day. Then a Willow tit's definitive call puts me onto just one - the only one of the day, but it was unusually obliging, feeding with Blue & Great.
Across another field. This time a flock of forty or fifty Corn buntings kept their distance, but flew eventually around me, their calls like the fizzing of electricity cables. And with them? One calling Brambling! Two Buzzards flap away.
Back to my starting point. Good views of three Bramblings - that orange so lovely - white bellies showing out. In the distance another bait-ball of starlings swirls above a Sparrowhawk. In the stream the Teal glint greens in slanting light, a Grey wagtail stabs a call somewhere.
I head hungrily home, stopping off for some of Mr.Kipling's exceedingly Brambling apple pies!

Last edited:
After a traumatic day yesterday (I won't go into that except to say it involved doctor's, hospital & a false alarm on Mrs H's health front - all fine now, ta) it was great to have a birding day in which the weather was dry & bright.

Glad to hear that all is well. I've had a few hospital/doctor/panic episodes with Mrs Sniper and/or the little Snipette over the last couple of years and it's not good!

I imagine it must have felt good to be out birding again after things had settled down. I think my next birding jaunt is likely to be sometime in early January.

DS

Suzanne,
Sounds like you have your work cut out with the boat at the moment, I bet they are always in need of some repair/maintenance. The price you pay for all that freedom, eh? Are you there all winter?

DS,
Thanks, yes, always seems worse than it turns out (thankfully), but doesn't stop the panic next time around. This was just a stupid message that any right-thinking idiot wouldn't have left under the circumstances; coupled with other circumstances...
Anyhow, its all brighter now.
You must dread Christmas!! Its bad enough doing the retail - without having to work the Christmas rush. However I must say that being called home by the "trauma" at 10pm. on Monday night did get me out of what looked like a sure-fire fight at work! And the possibility of having to stay late later; so there was some small consolation! (Though I felt bad about leaving my colleagues to carry on with the carry-on!!)

Joanne,
Yes a crackin' day (I love Bramblings - that orange colour is so good, & they are always scarce here) - yet some strange omissions - no Snipe, no Partridges, (Peregrine invisible again), no mammals. You never get 'em all in one day do you!
H

You never get 'em all in one day do you!
H

No, you never get them all in one day but in this weird world of birding there is always something that makes it special and worth all the effort. It was bramblings for you today, for me it was dartford warblers, another day it might be the marsh harriers......

Suzanne,
Sounds like you have your work cut out with the boat at the moment, I bet they are always in need of some repair/maintenance. The price you pay for all that freedom, eh? Are you there all winter?

Hi H,

Yes, we’ll be here until the end of March when we loose our spot; then we'll head west.

Last edited:
December 14th: Barn owl !

Drove over to meet up with family & attend pre-Xmas get together.
Over the High Peak - trees all white with ice - nice.
First stop Fradley (A38 nr. Lichfield): c. 20 Whooper swans visible from the road.
On the way home: Cubley, nr. Sudbury: Barn owl across the road, ghostly apparition: & not bad brief views in the full beam. My first in a long time.
Two Foxes too.

December 15th: 1 a.m. Unidentified Owl.

Driving home from work this morning: deliberately down a lesser road, rather than the main.
A Red-legged partridge dazed by my headlights sits in the lane & launches over my bonnet.
A hundred yards further & my full beam picks out an owl sitting c.40 feet up in a tree. Seen for half a second as I stop beyond, reverse quickly; but it has gone. No further sign. All I see is a pale owl - not enough to call - infuriating because, had it been a Barn, it would be the closest by far to my house. :C

Hi H

Oh dear the incident with the Partridge was a bit unfortunate to say the least. That must have been a scary thing to happen, so suddenly as it did. Must have escaped really quickly.

As for the Owl I hope that you get a better view of it next time. Still nice to have seen the Barn Owl though if it was one.

Hope you get some more good sightings of the birds now.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Driving home from work this morning: deliberately down a lesser road, rather than the main.
A Red-legged partridge dazed by my headlights sits in the lane & launches over my bonnet.
A hundred yards further & my full beam picks out an owl sitting c.40 feet up in a tree. Seen for half a second as I stop beyond, reverse quickly; but it has gone. No further sign. All I see is a pale owl - not enough to call - infuriating because, had it been a Barn, it would be the closest by far to my house. :C

you mean you could n't tell on Jizz, Giss or Gizz, I'm disapointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back