• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID - Central NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Looking for some help with this hawk from Marlboro NJ. My first thought in the field was broad-winged but I'm thinking it is red-shouldered based on the wing tips.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2023.6.15 big brook park hawk 1.jpg
    2023.6.15 big brook park hawk 1.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2023.6.15 big brook park hawk 2.jpg
    2023.6.15 big brook park hawk 2.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 37
It's an immature of one of those two.
What is your point about the wing-tips?
It's moulting primaries which makes it a bit difficult to see exactly what they're like, but I don't think it has red-shouldered hawk's translucent patch across the primaries. I suspect it's broad-winged hawk (tail-pattern slightly better in that the subterminal dark bar is thicker?), though the overall proportions are maybe better for red-shouldered. Dunno.

In researching a bit I found that the translucent crescent is characteristic of the red-shouldered - I'm unsure if the sun is just hitting the primaries from the front side - but I agree this doesn't look very pronounced. Also heard the wing tip shape of red-shouldered is slightly more squared off than broad-winged and has 5 primaries contributing to this effect. I have very little experience with both species in the field.

I usually avoid counting 'fingers'. But your bird seems to have 4, and Sibley shows broad-winged hawk with 4 and red-shouldered hawk with 5-6 - so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back