• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID Help In Wisconsin (1 Viewer)

birdman000

Hello,

Took these pics at a marsh in Wisconsin last weekend and any help would be appreciated.

I also saw other Red-tails and Rough-legged hawks but don't know if any of the ones in the pictures are these types.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Bird1a.jpg
    Bird1a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Bird2.jpg
    Bird2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 187
  • Bird3.jpg
    Bird3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Bird3a.jpg
    Bird3a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 146
I don't know if these hawks are each different individuals (more info?), but pic2 looks like Rough-legged; 3, 4, and 5 Red-tailed, and 1 is a weird angle that may be answered if it's the same individual as any of the other pics.

The field marks for today are:

1) Broad, dark subterminal bands on the tail.
2) Dark carpal patches ("wrists") on the underside of the wing
3) The appearance of a "white necklace" along the upper belly/breast line, separating dark belly from dark bib.

For extra credit, note how thin the branch is that raptor is sitting on in photos 4 & 5...

;)

I tend to agree with Lassa8. The middle bird looks like a RTH. I'm curious about the significance of the thin branch the RLH is sitting on in #4 and #5 that B. Lagopus offers for extra credit. RLH's have small feet but weightwise they are about as big as RTH's.
Bob

overworkedirish said:
I don't know if these hawks are each different individuals (more info?), but pic2 looks like Rough-legged; 3, 4, and 5 Red-tailed, and 1 is a weird angle that may be answered if it's the same individual as any of the other pics.

Sorry about that. There are 3 birds there. The 1st 2 pics are the same bird and the last two pics are the same bird.

So it seems the 1st and 3rd bird are rough-legged hawks? Adults? I saw other juvies and those were easier to id with the dark wrist patches.

Thanks for the help.

dtpavlik said:
It is very characteristic of Rough-legged Hawks to sit, or at least try to sit, on very thin branches.

Very good! I didn't know that. It's probably because there aren't too many large trees in their home territory, I would guess. We don't get them too often in my area. There were 3 that were wintering about 50 miles south of me very recently. I was planning a drive to see if I could locate them but I fell on the ice and threw my back out so my birding is limited to my deck right now.
Cordially,
Bob

Hello again,

I just have one more question. How did you all determine the second hawk is a Red-tail? I suck at IDing hawks and would like to know how you all decided which hawk it was. When it flew away, I didn't see any reddish color on its tail nor a streaked belly-band as it sat perched. So did you decide by just overall look and that it couldn't be anything else or what?

Thanks (just trying to improve my ID skills)

birdman000 said:
Hello again,

I just have one more question. How did you all determine the second hawk is a Red-tail? I suck at IDing hawks and would like to know how you all decided which hawk it was. When it flew away, I didn't see any reddish color on its tail nor a streaked belly-band as it sat perched. So did you decide by just overall look and that it couldn't be anything else or what?

Thanks (just trying to improve my ID skills)

Hawk2 I see a Buteo in Wisconsin with non-feathered legs (anti-Rough-legged), white breast (RTs can have limited to no belly-bands), and a brown, variably patterned head. Perhaps someone else can shed light on what else points to Red-tailed.

ceasar said:
Alex and Birdman,
Pic2 still looks like an RLH to me. Are you sure you don't mean Pic3?

Bob

Sorry again about the confusion. The first two pics are the same bird- a Rough-legged hawk. I was talking about the Red-tail hawk (pic 3) on top of the powerline pole.

And thank you Alex for the additional information.

ceasar said:
Alex and Birdman,
Pic2 still looks like an RLH to me. Are you sure you don't mean Pic3?

Bob

Hey Bob,

I specifically said "hawk2" referring to the second hawk individual, pic3. Sorry if there was confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back